limit space and not wanting to spend a ton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limit space and not wanting to spend a ton

i am wanting to add some low end to my truck. its four door, and i do not want to use the space under the back seat, and there is no space behind it. i do have a console that is way deeper then it needs to be. i was thinking about either a single 8" sub, or a pair of 6.5 mid bass. not looking for a big punch, just a little boom. the space is that i have to use is 12x10x4. this would leave me enough space to still make it useful as storage.

now would i be completing wasting my time, and should wait till i can replace the factory speakers. or would it be worth the time try it out?
    http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

That's not enough space for anything worth the trouble. Maybe an 8", but you'll need more.

Getting dedicated midbass drivers is not going to help your low end. You need a subwoofer. That said, get you a real good set of 6.5" components in the doors, amplify them, and dynamat the doors well, and you may be content for a while.

I know you said you don't want to, but sacrificing some of the space under your rear seat is the way to go.

I have a single shallow 13.5" JL in a custom Stealth Box under part of my rear seat in the F250, and it's a good amount of bass. Not what I am used to, but more than enough for 95% of folks, I reckon.

You should see what offerings JL has in Stealth Boxes for your vehicle. For some, they do make a center console box.

Comment

kickers 8" shallow mount work in .4 of air. i remeasured and can get that. i think i am gonna order it in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by SNEAKY View Post
        kickers 8" shallow mount work in .4 of air. i remeasured and can get that. i think i am gonna order it in the morning.
        The amount of output is not going to be worth it, IMO. Good luck, though.

Comment

started the install. i may be wasting my time, but if it sounds decent, i would have achieved my goals.

Hidden install
          Improved low end

the pictures are at the end of the slide show.

Comment

started the install. i may be wasting my time, but if it sounds decent, i would have achieved my goals.

Hidden install
            Improved low end

the pictures are at the end of the slide show.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bjatkins...76783233848050
            I'm curious to see how this turns out.
            I'm about to do something to mine, just not sure what yet.
            Probably put two 10's under the rear seat, I rarely lift the rear seats and use that space anyways

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
              I'm curious to see how this turns out.
              I'm about to do something to mine, just not sure what yet.
              Probably put two 10's under the rear seat, I rarely lift the rear seats and use that space anyways
              i go riding alot and do not want to lose the storage space. i do have a 12" to put back there if i change my mind

Comment

does not sound too bad at all. cant expect big boom form the 8" but not bad. still have a 12" i may put under the rear seat later. i want to pull the seats and carpet out, add some sound deadening.

Comment

planning my upgrade already.

RE Audio makes pretty good stuff right?
                  thinking about going ahead and using the space under the backseats. should be a bit of a bump in bump

was looking at putting four RE REX SERIES 8's back there. wanting to try a ported box for the first time. been trying to figure out how to port them right and have not had the best luck.here are the numbers on the speakers
                  8"
                  Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.38
                  Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.21
                  Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.34
                  Free Air Resonance -Fs: 22.8 Hz
                  Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 27.1 liters
                  One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 12 mm
                  Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 81.2 dB SPL
                  Effective Piston Area -Sd: 195 cm^2
                  DC Resistance -Re: 3.2 ohm
                  Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 4 ohm
                  Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 175 W
                  Force Factor -Bl: 15.4

Mounting Depth - 4.5"
                  Mounting Hole Diameter - 7.3"
                  Overall Diameter - 8.7"
                  Bolt Hole Circle - 8"
                  Motor Width - 4.875"
                  Motor Depth - 1.9"
                  Basket Depth - 2.4"
                  Displacement - 0.07 cu. ft.
                  Weight - 6.2 lbs.

this is what RE recomends
                  sealed .3 to .35
                  ported .35 to .5

i have 2.06 of space
                  each speaker tanks up .07x4=.28
                  so that 1.78/4=.445 per speaker.

so what size port should my ports be? Dia and length. am i pointed in the right direction or wasting my time.
                  i would not say i am completely disappointed with the console sub, but i do not want hurt it by working it too much.

Comment

Tried to tell you that you'd end up wanting more.

Trying to go ported under a seat, especially with that many drivers, is going to be a nightmare. And why four 8s? That would be like putting 4 tiny turbos on a car, when you could just do one or two bigger ones. This is already a "problem" that has a known solution. Look at your options with a JL Stealthbox, or other prefabbed boxes. Look at shallow mount subs that are 10" or larger. If you do it right, you won't need more than one to blow away what you have, or you could possibly do two and stay even more satisfied. It will be cheaper, simpler, and sound a lot better than trying to shoehorn four 8s in some kind of wacky enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                      Tried to tell you that you'd end up wanting more.

Trying to go ported under a seat, especially with that many drivers, is going to be a nightmare. And why four 8s? That would be like putting 4 tiny turbos on a car, when you could just do one or two bigger ones. This is already a "problem" that has a known solution. Look at your options with a JL Stealthbox, or other prefabbed boxes. Look at shallow mount subs that are 10" or larger. If you do it right, you won't need more than one to blow away what you have, or you could possibly do two and stay even more satisfied. It will be cheaper, simpler, and sound a lot better than trying to shoehorn four 8s in some kind of wacky enclosure.

yeah, the floor under the rear seat is completely flat. i thought about using my DVC 12" and angling it down. i found the REs for 40 each. but i do already have the 12".

Comment

yeah, the floor under the rear seat is completely flat. i thought about using my DVC 12" and angling it down. i found the REs for 40 each. but i do already have the 12".
                        In the F250, I have a JL Stealthbox with one 13.5" shallow JL sub, and it sounds pretty good. I'm used to more, but it isn't bad for using only the space under the large portion of the rear seat.

Comment

Maybe I have been out of the loop, but is that your new truck? Did you get rid of the other one? Looks great!

Comment

what amp do you have connected to the 8" kicker?
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                              Maybe I have been out of the loop, but is that your new truck? Did you get rid of the other one? Looks great!
                              Yep, got it just before x mas.traded the frontier in. Josh and skip at grapevine ford hooked it up. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X