First press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First press

I just purchased my first reloading press. It is a hornady lock n load ap.
    I need dies so I can get started. Were is a good place to get them locally? I think I am going to start out with .45acp then .223 rem and 308. That is all for now. Any tips for a beginner would be great. I have read a few books and watched a few videos but am still a little intimidated. I think I am going to go take the reloading class this Sunday at cabelas.
    Half of history is hiding the past.

any big box store like cabella's and such should have them no issue. What brand dies are you thinking of using? Im on my 2nd set of hornady dies, and im trying rcbs dies next. Each one of my hornady's have needed some polishing.

Comment

I am not sure yet. I was going to start looking into reviews tonight. I am not looking to drop a boat load but I do want a good quality die.

Comment

The hornady's work well. They just left a ring that was purely cosmetic on the projectile. A little rubbing compound and some mothers polish and its gtg. Im just anal.

They are also within a hour drive from where i live now. They have sent me free parts no questions asked as well.

Comment

I'm getting really fond of my Redding dies they are a step above RCBS.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            I'm getting really fond of my Redding dies they are a step above RCBS.
            I also like redding dies, I have a titanium carbide .45 set. Best set of dies I've ever owned. But lee and rcbs both make good dies.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've never used any Lee products but I also like Hornady's carbide pistol dies they seem to work as good as any.

Comment

I think I am going to start out with the RCBS dies.Then I might up grade later to the redding dies.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I also like redding dies, I have a titanium carbide .45 set. Best set of dies I've ever owned. But lee and rcbs both make good dies.
                  Are these the dies you are talking about?

If so I might get them they are only $20 dollars more than the rcbs.

Comment

Yes those are the dies.

Comment

I picked up some rcbs dies today. Now I need some primers powder and bullets and I am up and running.

Comment

Do your best to buy that stuff locally to avoid has-mat shipping fee's.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          Do your best to buy that stuff locally to avoid has-mat shipping fee's.
                          Or buy in very large quantities.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I try my best to buy in large qty, but If you cant try and buy from the same lot # My store sells a little so i have no problem picking up 5 pounds over time from the same lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                              I try my best to buy in large qty, but If you cant try and buy from the same lot # My store sells a little so i have no problem picking up 5 pounds over time from the same lot.
                              I have 48lbs of WC844 right now and what I do is mix all of the powders together thoroughly, then pour them back into individual containers, and you have the exact same burn rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X