Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for a GOOD camera......recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a GOOD camera......recommendations?

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I didn't think it fit in the "picture" forum since I didn't have any pics to offer.

Anyway, I know a few of you on here do the photography thing, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good beginners piece. Both of my kids are very involved with sports and those point and shoot digitals don't give me the results I like. Don't get me wrong though, I don't have the time or budget to do what I've seen some of you post here, but I would like a quality piece that I could eventually develop some skill with. The only requirements I know I have is that it has to have great zoom capability and great at stopping the action.

Discuss please.

sent from an htc EVO, the iCrap killer.
    --carlos

sigpic

Sounds like a Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm and either a 55-200mm or 55-300mm lens is in order.

The ability to "stop the action" comes from the shutter speed which you can adjust, just have to make sure the light is good enough...

I'm no expert at phtography, but I have learned a lot from reading posts/tips here and reading books on it. Still don't know even half as much as some people on here.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Can you elaborate a little on those lenses please?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

LOL we need to make a "what camera should I buy" sticky. When you get into DSLRs (the big type cameras with removable lenses) Those numbers on the lens are called focal length, or what you would call zoom on a point and shoot. So if you want more "zoom" you want a higher number i.e. a 250mm or 300mm lens. the smaller the number i.e. 55mm means you see more of the picture instead of a close up. What kind of camera we recommend really depends on your budget. Amazon has great deals on camera kits that come with an 18-55 lens and a 55-250 or 300 lens (zoom lens).

Comment

Gotcha'. I Googled the NIKON mentioned above and it details for about $850. Amazon has them for about $650, so I think that is do-able. I'm assuming the lens is an extra expense, so what would I be looking at there?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Also check out Canon t2i or t3i. They are the equivalent to that Nikon. Unless the advertisement for it says "body only" it probably comes with at least a kit lens which is generally 18-55. If you want the reach get one that also comes with a longer lens.

Comment

Hmm, nice and slightly less expensive. What are some of the key features I should be looking for? I tend to complicate things a bit, so am over thinking this?

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

If not planning on going pro or getting really really good with all the features, look at the Nikon d3100. One step down from the 5100 with less features, but still way more features than the average person can learn to use. I have the earlier model(d3000), and it does more than I can ask for. Usually can find a kit that comes with the 18-55mm lens for bigger, wider FOV pics, and close ups, and also have the 55-200 or 55-300 lens for zoom shots.
                Like this one...
                [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-18-55mm-55-200mm-Accessory/dp/B0041E00TW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344651621&sr =1-3&keywords=nikon+d3100+kit[/ame]

$669 and come with both lenses, case, memory card and more.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

I just bought a used D5100 on Ebay for $530. I'm still learning how to use the darn thing as I'm no photog, but want to learn enough to take some decent pics. I just have the kit lens for now and it was included in the price above... who wants to teach me how to use this thing?!?! LOL!

Comment

Just went on ebay to check them out and I have a question. what does it mean when it says "body only"?
                    --carlos

sigpic

Comment

No lens .
                      The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

thanks
                        --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Saw this and thought about this post...

Canon EOS Digital Rebel T3i 18MP SLR Camera w/ 18-55mm Lens + 55-250mm IS Lens + Canon Pro 9000 Printer $682 After $400 Rebate + Free shipping

Your search for great deals and coupon savings ends here. Find the best bargains and money-saving offers, discounts, promo codes, freebies and price comparisons from the trusted Slickdeals community.

Comment

Check out the cnet reveiws.

Comment

I'd pick up a used D40, it'll take you a while to outgrow it if ever and if you do the lenses will all fit the newer Nikons. You can $10k on a camera and a lens and still not shoot as nice as someone who knows how to work the old Nikons.

If you plan on shooting video though the D40 is out. I'd look at a D7000. They shoot great video and you can capture stills from it that look better than most DSLR shots.

There are some pretty good point and shoot cameras now btw, and even a couple with swappable lenses.

Comment

Working...
                              X