Title IX = Death of Men's Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title IX = Death of Men's Sports

This is a couple of months old but still one of those things that make you question our leadership in Washington. They won't be happy until men are totally emasculated

High school booster clubs take note: Uncle Sam may start checking the books to see that the boys and the girls get the same cut.

High school booster clubs take note: Uncle Sam may start checking the books to see that the boys and the girls get the same cut.

"The National Women's Law Center has thrown down the gauntlet and plans to spread the fight over sports funding issues from colleges and universities to the nation's high schools. Booster-club services - even Mom baking cookies for the team - is one of the issues already on the table."

"Making Title IX as strong as possible is a no-brainer," Mr. Biden said in April. "What we're doing here today will better ensure equal opportunity in athletics and allow women to realize their potential - so this nation can realize its potential."

Here's the NCAA allotment for scholarships - (data from 08-09). Look how many more sports women can get scholarships for and how many more scholarships are available for sports that cross gender lines. They have to make up for the 85 Football scholarships. There are about 600 more women's teams than men's and 12,000 more scholarship athletes (20,000 men vs 32,000 women).

Division I

Men

Baseball 11.7
    Basketball 13
    Cross Country/Track and Field 12.6
    Fencing 4.5
    Football (Division I-A) 85
    Football (Division I-AA) 63
    Golf 4.5
    Gymnastics 6.3
    Ice Hockey 18
    Lacrosse 12.6
    Rifle 3.6
    Skiing 6.3
    Soccer 9.9
    Swimming and Diving 9.9
    Tennis 4.5
    Volleyball 4.5
    Water Polo 4.5
    Wrestling 9.9

Women

Archery 5
    Badminton 6
    Basketball 15
    Bowling 5
    Cross Country/Track and Field 18
    Equestrian 15
    Fencing 5
    Field Hockey 12
    Golf 6
    Gymnastics 12
    Ice Hockey 18
    Lacrosse 12
    Rowing 20
    Rugby 12
    Skiing 7
    Soccer 14
    Softball 12
    Squash 12
    Swimming and Diving 14
    Synchronized Swimming 5
    Team Handball 10
    Tennis 8
    Volleyball 12
    Water Polo 8

Let them face off against men in sports, opposite the men. See if they still think its a good idea.

Comment

I'm all for Co-ed football.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
        I'm all for Co-ed football.
        Me too, they're called cheerleaders.

Comment

For years womens' sports got nothing. If the colleges (and high schools) were fair in the first place, it would have never happened. In other words, payback is a bitch.

Comment

Yeah, fuck it. Put everyone on the same playing field. "Scholarships" are business really, specifically in sports.

I dunno, trying to put myself in a chick's shoes on this one. Guess it really does not matter anyway since it is business. Now, if it was hot babe bikini basketball - those would probably draw more scholarships.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Maybe it'll get some overall sports funding cut, and math, science, and the arts will get some funding. Fuck putting sports first.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                For years womens' sports got nothing. If the colleges (and high schools) were fair in the first place, it would have never happened. In other words, payback is a bitch.
                I think that's how proponents of Affirmative action feel

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                Yeah, fuck it. Put everyone on the same playing field. "Scholarships" are business really, specifically in sports.

I dunno, trying to put myself in a chick's shoes on this one. Guess it really does not matter anyway since it is business. Now, if it was hot babe bikini basketball - those would probably draw more scholarships.
                It's punishing some kids (Boys) for things that happened before they were even born. Girls can actually be slightly above average and get a scholarship in the same sport that boys would not get one.

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                Maybe it'll get some overall sports funding cut, and math, science, and the arts will get some funding. Fuck putting sports first.
                Many of the sports (wrestling for one) do not cost much money to field teams. Those boys teams are being cut to make the ratio closer. Some schools are fabricating girls teams (rowing) where there really is no interest from the student body for the same purpose.

Lastly they want to go after High school booster clubs because the funding given to football booster clubs does not find its way to girls sports.

They should ust through Football into a seperate category and not use those 85 scholarships when trying to achieve equity. There is no female equivalent.

Comment

I remember when schools (and colleges) actually concentrated on teaching... oh wait, nevermind. Carry on.

Stevo
                  Originally posted by SSMAN
                  ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post

It's punishing some kids (Boys) for things that happened before they were even born. Girls can actually be slightly above average and get a scholarship in the same sport that boys would not get one.

Many of the sports (wrestling for one) do not cost much money to field teams. Those boys teams are being cut to make the ratio closer. Some schools are fabricating girls teams (rowing) where there really is no interest from the student body for the same purpose.

Lastly they want to go after High school booster clubs because the funding given to football booster clubs does not find its way to girls sports.

They should ust through Football into a seperate category and not use those 85 scholarships when trying to achieve equity. There is no female equivalent.
                    Well that's just fucked up.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by stinginstang View Post

I'm not saying it's "right", just saying it's how it happens.

Comment

How much revenue do mens sports bring in compared to womens? I'm sorry, but I don't have one T-shirt that says "UT Womens Basketball or Softball." It might seem sexist, but womens sports just aren't as entertaining to watch as mens.
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by poopnut2 View Post
                          How much revenue do mens sports bring in compared to womens? I'm sorry, but I don't have one T-shirt that says "UT Womens Basketball or Softball." It might seem sexist, but womens sports just aren't as entertaining to watch as mens.
                          Money is bottom line, Example: when TCU opens the new stadium, how much revenue will be generated by the girl teams playing there. It might not be "fair" but it is what it is.
                          Just like "No child left behind" get the Government involved and the whole thing goes down the crapper.

Comment

Its nobody's fault that women got the short end of the physiology stick. So its therefore wrong to take from, or punish men for it. Unless you believe in the bible, of course. Then its women's fault.

Comment

and people wonder why women outnumber men at universities... just more pussification of the US
                              1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Working...
                              X