My little Babushka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little Babushka

Latest purchase from AIM. Most of the cosmoline is off. Will have to sweat it again I'm sure, but I can't wait to shoot this thing. I mean it has to be fun when you can basically buy a thousand rounds for six dollars...
    I've been debating refinishing it, but since it's going to be shot outside mostly I'm sure I'd mess up the finish in a hurry. All numbers match except for the bayonet, but I'm sure that really doesn't matter since there are a billion just like it (but this one is mine!). Going to have to ream out the bayonet to make it fit as well. Has anyone ever had any firing pin issues with these rifles? I see there are tolerance slots with the handy multi tool that comes with it, but the firing pin doesn't actually even touch the first slot. It is however lined up with the hash marks on the rear of the bolt? The front site looks a little wonky as well, but it too is lined up with the marks.

The front sight probably looks like that, so does both of mine BTW, because they were sighted in with the bayonet attached. I haven't had any firing pins issues with mine. Did you check both of the slots? One is supposed to touch, smaller slot, and one is not, larger slot.

You'll love shooting it, I love mine!
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Yeah it's only within a few thousdanths from touching the lower slot and is probably .010 or more from the larger one. Just ordered ammo so we'll see...

Comment

Stock looks pretty good! I want to re-finish mine

Comment

This is my 2nd favorite rifle to shoot, the first being the carbine version. I refinished the 91/30 but have not had a chance to do a carbine. I even reblued the all the metal myself.

Jon

Comment

you need to compress the bolt and spin it to make the firing pin stick out on the bolt further. The screw is for making fine adjustments. If I remember correctly, the firing pin needs to be longer than the shortest slot and too short for the tallest slot on the multi tool.
            03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1Run View Post
              This is my 2nd favorite rifle to shoot, the first being the carbine version.
              Looks really nice. If you had any dings in the wood, what did you do to get them out? I've used water before which seems to work...
              Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
              you need to compress the bolt and spin it to make the firing pin stick out on the bolt further. The screw is for making fine adjustments. If I remember correctly, the firing pin needs to be longer than the shortest slot and too short for the tallest slot on the multi tool.
              I'll try and shoot it first the way it is and see what happens.
              Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
              Stock looks pretty good! I want to re-finish mine
              Thanks.

Comment

Ok I'm a gun noob here so what is this actually? I've been wanting to get an old rifle like a mosin or something and this looks cool like those too.
                Originally posted by Nash B.
                Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                  Ok I'm a gun noob here so what is this actually? I've been wanting to get an old rifle like a mosin or something and this looks cool like those too.
                  It's a Mosin Nagant(sp?), but what model I'm not sure.
                  "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

91/30

Comment

My 91/30 and my M44

My 12 year old shooting the M44.
                      92 LX 5.0

Comment

You need to straighten that kid out haha.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                          Looks really nice. If you had any dings in the wood, what did you do to get them out? I've used water before which seems to work...
                          Thanks.
                          It had a couple. The stripper I used to take the finish off raised the grain a little which got rid of the small ones, then I used the damp rag / iron trick from CJ's refinish post ( may be in canada ) to get the big one or two out. Once I resanded stained sanded stained sanded cleared sanded cleared steel wooled I pretty much got them all out.
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                            You need to straighten that kid out haha.
                            hahaha I gave him a hard time about that! He wasn't ready for the weight of it!
                            92 LX 5.0

Comment

Im glade you finally got one. I love mine just scared to shoot it lol
                              sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                              🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Working...
                              X