Several passes to size brass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several passes to size brass?

Specifically 308? I'm using Hornady New Dimension dies on a Lyman Spar-T press. I got a case gauge for 308 to check the headspace and some brass it took 2-3 times through the size die to get to the proper headspace. Is this normal? Most brass would size just fine but maybe 20% would require a second or third trip through the press. Not sure if its an issue with the die or bad brass. Its all MY BRASS, none of this was range pickup and its all either once or twice fired. Various brands (Win, Rem, LC, Federal, etc).

Set up the die to where it only takes one pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
      Set up the die to where it only takes one pass.
      LOL, I'm sorry but that made me laugh. I just started reloading rifle brass, so I can't be of much help.
      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

Why use various brass types unless just making run of the mill plinking rounds? Brass between manufacturers will work differently due to varying brass hardness, thickness and neck thickness potentially causing pressure and accuracy issues.

How are you setting the die up? If it's for a bolt gun look into a neck sizing die.
        "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

They are just plinking rounds. I got a bag of 150gr SP Remington bullets I like to plink with, otherwise I'd use a single brand of brass. When I put together target/hunting loads I use the same brand brass across the board.

I set it up per the instructions that came with the die, the base of the die is making solid contact with the shell holder and its adjusted to where it will cause most of the cases to drop just fine into the case gauge but a few take several passes. The die is adjusted correctly because the end result causes the brass to fit correctly. I don't think its possible to adjust it further.

The rounds are very generic so they'll be used in a bolt gun and a semi-auto.

The ones that are hunting/bolt gun specific are neck sized only.

Comment

You sure your not getting any movement in the turret of the press?

Comment

I guess it could possibly be the press, its pretty old but there isn't any noticeable flex in the turret. Anyone know of a way to check for sure?

Comment

When you pull down on the lever does it push the turret up a little? Try and take your sizing die in a little more and see what happens with your case gauge.

Comment

When you pull down on the lever does it push the turret up a little? Try and take your sizing die in a little more and see what happens with your case gauge.
                  It moves but I cant tell if its the bench or if its the turret. The press cams over at the top so its a sharp jerk and hard to follow. I've been reading up some online and it looks like the older Spar-T presses got loose on the top turret. They designed the newer ones to have a spindle at the back to put adjustable tension on the turret for this reason but mine is older and does not have that feature. Hmph, all the more reason to get a 650/LnL AP sooner!

Comment

There is slop in all the lee turrets. I just had to adjust the die to fit the slop. The turret rises equally just at the top of the stroke. If you set it up like the die instructions say you would be off.

Comment

There is slop in all the lee turrets. I just had to adjust the die to fit the slop. The turret rises equally just at the top of the stroke. If you set it up like the die instructions say you would be off.
                      Just strange how the dies work on some brass but not all. I guess some of the cases are just hard enough to put more pressure on the press. At this point how the die is adjusted there is significant cam over. Worried about breaking something if I adjust it much further

Comment

I found this out while sizing lake city brass vs remington, pmc.

I just stick to loading same brand brass. I bought a new bag of .308 remington brass and took out 25 of them. I've loaded that brass 8 times already with no signs of failure/stress.

Comment

Some brass is thicker and harder to resize. For instance, s&b brass is impossible to resize into .300 blk. It's way too thick.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                            Some brass is thicker and harder to resize. For instance, s&b brass is impossible to resize into .300 blk. It's way too thick.
                            S&B is pretty hard on decapping pins as well as pulling out of the shell holder and getting stuck in the die.

Comment

I found this out while sizing lake city brass vs remington, pmc.

I just stick to loading same brand brass. I bought a new bag of .308 remington brass and took out 25 of them. I've loaded that brass 8 times already with no signs of failure/stress.
                              Not really an option I am willing to look into at this point. If its something I can fix with the die or press, then I will do that. But if its just a matter of different brass being thicker I will just run it a few times through. These are just plinking rounds. Going through and re-setting between each brand of brass seems like a bit of a hassle for junker rounds.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Thats what I figured. So would something like this more than likely go away with a press that doesn't flex as much/at all?

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              S&B is pretty hard on decapping pins as well as pulling out of the shell holder and getting stuck in the die.
                              Yep I noticed. Also some of the "HP" brass I found that has a green ring around the primer and the primer is also staked in the brass. Pretty crazy

Comment

Working...
                              X