223 work up loads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 223 work up loads.

Just wondering what y'all thought about these. These were all 60gr Hornady V-max bullets. I was shooting with sandbags. Are these decent size groups for 10 shots @100 yards? I was waiting about 20 seconds in between. Should I wait longer?

I've got a few more to try in the 60gr. Then I also reloaded 50 in the 68gr bthp hornady. My barrel is a 1/9 twist.

Comment

I usually wait around 1-2.5 minutes between shots depending on how heavy the barrel is and how the temperature is outside.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Whether those are decent or not depends on what the rifle is, but I'd say they don't look very good to me.
        Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
        Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Need to know your barrel length and profile. A decent barrel should be able to shoot sub MOA no matter the time between shots.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            Need to know your barrel length and profile. A decent barrel should be able to shoot sub MOA no matter the time between shots.
            CJ, I have a stainless steel barrel 16in 1/9 twist.

Comment

Originally posted by MULEY4X4 View Post
              CJ, I have a stainless steel barrel 16in 1/9 twist.
              What profile barrel is it? I sit a pencil barrel, M4 carbine profile, or a bull barrel? That's what I had assumed seeing those groups. It should be doing a little better than this, which makes me think you need to adjust your COL to push that bullet further into your barrel. However, sub MOA is going to be the best you're going to get with a barrel that length. So a 1" group should be your goal.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

What profile barrel is it? I sit a pencil barrel, M4 carbine profile, or a bull barrel? That's what I had assumed seeing those groups. It should be doing a little better than this, which makes me think you need to adjust your COL to push that bullet further into your barrel. However, sub MOA is going to be the best you're going to get with a barrel that length. So a 1" group should be your goal.
                Barrels are M4 contour. That's what the web site says.

Comment

Barrels are M4 contour. That's what the web site says.
                  okay well then you're not doing too bad, that's a run of the mill AR15 carbine. My 20" pencil M16A1 barrel shoots a 1.40" group iron sights at 100 yards with crap ammo, it might shoot better but I've never put it in a sled to see. Are you using optics?

Comment

okay well then you're not doing too bad, that's a run of the mill AR15 carbine. My 20" pencil M16A1 barrel shoots a 1.40" group iron sights at 100 yards with crap ammo, it might shoot better but I've never put it in a sled to see. Are you using optics?
                    Yes I have a leupold 3x9x40 on there. I had a good rest and really didn't feel like I was pulling a bunch of them.

Comment

What trigger? If factory what's the pull weight, a trigger alone can make a world of difference.
                      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Yes I have a leupold 3x9x40 on there. I had a good rest and really didn't feel like I was pulling a bunch of them.
                        What size are those squares? Are they 1" squares, or 1/2"? Can you take a caliper or ruler and measure the MOA of those groups?

The first and the third look to me like shooter induced. They all seem to have a left/right pull to them.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                          What trigger? If factory what's the pull weight, a trigger alone can make a world of difference.
                          I believe he's shooting a trigger I worked down to around 5lbs, which isn't perfect but it's no factory GI trigger.

Comment

What size are those squares? Are they 1" squares, or 1/2"? Can you take a caliper or ruler and measure the MOA of those groups?

The first and the third look to me like shooter induced. They all seem to have a left/right pull to them.
                            I'll get out there with a ruler after work today. Yes I'm shooting the trigger that you worked on for me.

Comment

Id expect under a inch at a hundred.

Comment

Working...
                              X