Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone shot high pressure .45LC rounds through a Blackhawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone shot high pressure .45LC rounds through a Blackhawk?

I've been playing with my SA Blackhawk for a while, and I know they are the only revolver that can handle the high pressure rounds. Has anyone here ever fired some high pressure .45LC rounds through their Blackhawk? Like 300gr @ 1300fps? I can't imagine how that recoil would feel with a horn grip. I have a 7 1/2" Blackhawk and it's pretty much perfect for these type of loads, I figured I might give it a shot.
    Last edited by CJ; 08-21-2012, 09:39 AM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

This article says a 300 grain/1300fps loading is available from Cor-Bon:

I bet it'll be fine in that Ruger.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
      This article says a 300 grain/1300fps loading is available from Cor-Bon:

I bet it'll be fine in that Ruger.
      I'm sure you're right - the high pressure rounds only work in the Blackhawk or the TC, some guys use the older vaquero, but I don't think I'll put any in mine. Corbon has a history of using blended powders, so I don't know if I can get the kind of performance they enjoy, but both sierra and hornady have loads well into the 1300's with a 300gr round. And I know this blackhawk has a stronger frame than my Model 29, so I'll save the punishment on the nicer gun. Besides, it would be nice to have a legitimate use for this blackhawk other than acting like a cowboy. I just do not like horn grips, I'd like to convert it to a bisley grip style but I'll run a cylinder of this HP stuff through it and see how it shoots. I've never fired a powerful horn grip gun before, no idea what to expect. I was watching some of the videos of guys shooting high pressure .45LC through their Blackhawk and boy it looks vicious as hell.

And that's a 230gr :x
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

You did say you wanted a wheel gun to hunt with. Go for it, dude.

Comment

You did say you wanted a wheel gun to hunt with. Go for it, dude.
          I wanted a wheel gun for longer ranges than my Model 29. I hunt with my 29 and it's extremely accurate, but I was also interested in something with more power, which the .45LC will provide. The 29 can do the same energy delivery, but at the expense of the frame, so I'd rather run it through the blackhawk to save the 29. A single action will be a change, but I instinctively pull the hammer on every round when I'm hunting so it probably won't be so bad to get accustomed to. Trigger kind of sucks on the blackhawk though.

Comment

You also might look into a bird's head grip frame for that Blackhawk. It might help.

Comment

300gr @ 1300fps shit is crazy that's 300fps higher than the 300gr TC/Ruger data available in the Nosler book.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

You also might look into a bird's head grip frame for that Blackhawk. It might help.
                Better than a horn, but the bisley seems to be a little better looking, comfort I don't know - never held either. But I do not like the idea of delivering a 300gr projectile at 1300fps with 2 fingers fitting on the grip.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  I wanted a wheel gun for longer ranges than my Model 29. I hunt with my 29 and it's extremely accurate, but I was also interested in something with more power, which the .45LC will provide. The 29 can do the same energy delivery, but at the expense of the frame, so I'd rather run it through the blackhawk to save the 29. A single action will be a change, but I instinctively pull the hammer on every round when I'm hunting so it probably won't be so bad to get accustomed to. Trigger kind of sucks on the blackhawk though.
                  Look into the 460 S&W gives a whole new spin on the range of traditional pistol hunting. Downside would be the size and weight of the massive X frame.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                    Look into the 460 S&W gives a whole new spin on the range of traditional pistol hunting. Downside would be the size and weight of the massive X frame.
                    I would be all over a 460 if I had the money right now, but I'm ass deep in buying an auto sear right now.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I would be all over a 460 if I had the money right now, but I'm ass deep in buying an auto sear right now.
                      Understandable. If you hold out look into Freedom Arms the build some of the best Single Action pistols out there.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        Understandable. If you hold out look into Freedom Arms the build some of the best Single Action pistols out there.
                        They have some cool shit but it will cost you. I'll never own one but I'd like to play with one at the range.

Comment

Hey CJ! What about a .480 Ruger cylinder and barrel swap for that Blackhawk? Is that possible?

EDIT: Nevermind.
                          Last edited by YALE; 09-24-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
                            They have some cool shit but it will cost you. I'll never own one but I'd like to play with one at the range.
                            They are pricey but I'll have one eventually but mine will be in 41rem mag.

Comment

Working...
                            X