New home install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home install

Building a house at the first of the year and wanting to wire it for A home theater. Is there any difference between brands of jacketed speaker wire, or are they all pretty much the same?

i use monster xp 16 gauge. if you plan pushing a lot of wattage to your gear, then don't go any smaller than 18 gauge. also depends on environment and how long your cable throws will be. i've always used monster speaker cable white/clear jacket. just as long as it's well insulated and uses a good copper strand core.

Comment

Get inwall rated from www.monoprice.com You shouldnt outgrow 12ga. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Having done home theaters on multi million dollar homes, and my brother in law having done it for the last 20yrs+ I can say you can save alot of money and get the same quality going with monoprice over monster. You can look over on www.avsforums.com and read an article from a former Monster cables engineer explaining there is no difference in their product over any other over the counter-mail order wire. The most commonly ran wire in the Home theater business are 16/4 and 14/4 with the occational 12/2 :cool:

if you need some more help pm me with anything you got. I have tons of connections still in the industry and won't steer you the wrong way!

Comment

^yea, me too. and your argument is kind of like the never ending debates on who makes the best optical cable. i'm a member at avsforum.com myself.

no problems with heavy gauge monster speaker wire, especially those designed for in wall and long throw installs.

Comment

Mustangman_2000 I didn't say there is anything wrong with it. I just would put the extra money in components instead of wire

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
              Mustangman_2000 I didn't say there is anything wrong with it. I just would put the extra money in components instead of wire
              You mean that 500% premium for Monster isn't worth it? But the guy at Best Buy said you can hear a difference between it and the cheap stuff from Lowes.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                You mean that 500% premium for Monster isn't worth it? But the guy at Best Buy said you can hear a difference between it and the cheap stuff from Lowes.
                Right and Obama was the answer to all our issues!

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how a $90 fiber optic cable is better than a $7 one. It's a digital signal and it's light, it's either on or it's off. You can't get RF interference and it's plastic, oxygen free and ultra low resistance isn't going to make a difference. The connectors are all an industry standard and there aren't any crimp connections to fail. Monster has to be doing something to justify the more than 1000% price difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    I'm still trying to figure out how a $90 fiber optic cable is better than a $7 one. It's a digital signal and it's light, it's either on or it's off. You can't get RF interference and it's plastic, oxygen free and ultra low resistance isn't going to make a difference. The connectors are all an industry standard and there aren't any crimp connections to fail. Monster has to be doing something to justify the more than 1000% price difference.
                    I have tried personally the cheap plastic ones you get from like the DirecTv boxes and the $100+ that we sold to our customers and never oticed a difference :cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X