Windows Media Center DVR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media Center DVR?

Looking for opinions... not too keen on paying Tivo $20/mo for nothing but a box. Ive read some good reviews on media center, but do any of you have one setup that can provide feedback on it? Also, do they not make systems that do nothing but that, have a coax in, and HDMI out, remote control, etc, and don't cost $500?

anybody?

Comment

I used to use it on my old laptop all the time - the only problem I had was with my tuner not changing the channel. So I would end up recording the wrong channel.

On my new HTPC, I'm using XBMC - but I don't have it fully operational yet.

Comment

You're looking at a full PC build for this function - and a decent one to support the codec decoding/encoding and hard drive capacity. I think you're looking at AT LEAST 500 big ones for that option.

I have a tuner card in my htpc/media server for this purpose - but it's a Core2Duo machine with an 8600gts video card and 16TB of hard drive space.
        01 Turbo Miata
        96 4x4 Suburban

Comment

holy crap @ 16 terabytes

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            You're looking at a full PC build for this function - and a decent one to support the codec decoding/encoding and hard drive capacity. I think you're looking at AT LEAST 500 big ones for that option.

I have a tuner card in my htpc/media server for this purpose - but it's a Core2Duo machine with an 8600gts video card and 16TB of hard drive space.
            ^^^^
            This

I've got a second hand desktop pulling netflix streaming duty to the HDTV, but it just doesn't have the horsepower to do all the awesome Media Center capabilities right now. You will need a good system with horsepower to pull it off along with a good video\tuner card.
            Last edited by Gargamel; 12-30-2010, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              holy crap @ 16 terabytes
              Yeah it's pretty handy sometimes. It's almost full though

01 Turbo Miata
              96 4x4 Suburban

Comment

how do you use up 16 terabytes

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  how do you use up 16 terabytes
                  Pron?
                  Originally posted by Nash B.
                  Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                    Pron?
                    PRON.... (His right hand is busy...)

Comment

Working...
                    X