Best receiver in the $500-700 range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best receiver in the $500-700 range

So far, I'm almost completely set on the Harman Kardon AVR-2600. It seems like the absolute best receiver for the money right now. My concerns are audio accuracy, and quality. I've always known HK to have better overall accuracy than Denon and Onkyo but with their less frequent updates they tend to fall behind on the feature list between releases. Is there any other receivers I should be looking for in this price range?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Onkyo

Comment

HK, for sure out of those brands. might be able to find the 3600 online in that price range.

might take a look at pioneer elite and marantz units while you're at it.
      Last edited by momo; 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM.
      www.hppmotorsports.com
      ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
        Onkyo

Having owned 4 Onkyo's so far I would disagree. Denon hands down in this price range!

Comment

Onkyo
          Sure, if you want tons of HDCP handshake issues. I mean, hey, if you want to sit around and wait for a half hour or more for the Onkyo to recognize your PS3 every time you want to play, more power to you.

I have the SR606, and it's a giant piece of shit. I fucking hate this thing, and will never buy another Onkyo product.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
            Having owned 4 Onkyo's so far I would disagree. Denon hands down in this price range!
            Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Sure, if you want tons of HDCP handshake issues. I mean, hey, if you want to sit around and wait for a half hour or more for the Onkyo to recognize your PS3 every time you want to play, more power to you.

I have the SR606, and it's a giant piece of shit. I fucking hate this thing, and will never buy another Onkyo product.
            I've have had Sony, Yamaha, and several upgrades of Onkyo AVRs. Not a single problem with Onkyo. Powerful AVR with lots of features and excellent dialogue reproduction. Not to mention dependable. As I run my gear near reference on Blu-ray action flicks. Have recorded 114 dB from listening position on Percy Jackson at 3 below reference (calibrated). And not a single HDCP handshake issue over Dayton 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI connected to a Toshiba HD/DVD, RCA DLP TV, Samsung BD-P1600, Panasonic BD player, and Panasonic S2 series Plasma. Even my old Onkyo TX-SR507 would connect to all devices nearly instantly.

Next to Marantz, they are the best in the business for their price range. Especically, when you get into the THX Select 2 Plus Onkyo gear. Rigid chasis design, over sized capacitors, separate video and audio processing boards, THX certification, etc..

lol @ Denon. The same people who make a lot of gear for Denon are the same people who made the first cheapest on the market Magnavox Blu-ray player for Walmart back in the day. Funai electronics makes most products for Denon, Magnavox, Insignia, etc...

I think some of you aren't properly calibrating your system. Or simply don't know how. I use AVIA to calibrate both audio and video for every system I build for myself and others. I also use a SPL meter to calibrate all channels and usual make the LFE channel +3 dB hot. And improper calibration (or setting the crossover incorrectly) will yield poor acoustic results inconsistent with what is intended to come from the mix.

Calibration can make a night and day difference on imaging, spatial panning, authority, etc.. at the listening position. Even on lesser gear. And I don't use Audyssey, except only to establish speaker delay. The rest I calibrate using the same meter and method recommended by SVS. As Audyssey tends to calibrate soft and bury the center channel in the mix.
            Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-30-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I've have had Sony, Yamaha, and several upgrades of Onkyo AVRs. Not a single problem with Onkyo. Powerful AVR with lots of features and excellent dialogue reproduction. Not to mention dependable. As I run my gear near reference on Blu-ray action flicks. Have recorded 114 dB from listening position on Percy Jackson at 3 below reference (calibrated). And not a single HDCP handshake issue over Dayton 1.3 or 1.4 HDMI connected to a Toshiba HD/DVD, RCA DLP TV, Samsung BD-P1600, Panasonic BD player, and Panasonic S2 series Plasma. Even my old Onkyo TX-SR507 would connect to all devices nearly instantly.

Next to Marantz, they are the best in the business for their price range. Especically, when you get into the THX Select 2 Plus Onkyo gear. Rigid chasis design, over sized capacitors, separate video and audio processing boards, THX certification, etc..

lol @ Denon. The same people who make a lot of gear for Denon are the same people who made the first cheapest on the market Magnavox Blu-ray player for Walmart back in the day. Funai electronics makes most products for Denon, Magnavox, Insignia, etc...

I think some of you aren't properly calibrating your system. Or simply don't know how. I use AVIA to calibrate both audio and video for every system I build for myself and others. I also use a SPL meter to calibrate all channels and usual make the LFE channel +3 dB hot. And improper calibration (or setting the crossover incorrectly) will yield poor acoustic results inconsistent with what is intended to come from the mix.

Calibration can make a night and day difference on imaging, spatial panning, authority, etc.. at the listening position. Even on lesser gear. And I don't use Audyssey, except only to establish speaker delay. The rest I calibrate using the same meter and method recommended by SVS. As Audyssey tends to calibrate soft and bury the center channel in the mix.
              2K2 LS1 used to install high end home theatre if I'm not mistaken. While your "you're too stupid to calibrate" attitude might be true, I highly doubt it.

And as far as my issue goes - It's an Onkyo issue, one that is well documented, and has jack shit to do with calibrating anything. It's an Onkyo problem. Google "PS3 Onkyo handshake issue". In fact, I don't know of a single fucking person on earth with the 506, 606, or 706 that DOESN'T have this issue. It surprises me you've never heard of it, when you are a self proclaimed expert.

I will add, though. Nobody mentioned a single word about sound issues, quality of sound, etc. You did. In a weak attempt to stroke your own cock, and flex your self proclaimed prowess. If nothing else, I laughed at you.
              Last edited by bcoop; 12-31-2010, 12:20 AM.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yep, I have 3 Onkyos, and two of them have handshake issues. One of them will still recogize the PS3 after a few minutes. The other got worse and worse over time, and now will NEVER work with my PS3. I had to run HDMI directly to my TV for video, and run optical for audio to the receiver. So much for the DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD features that motivated me to buy this receiver in the first place. After doing some research (I wish I had done it on the front end), I realize this is a very common issue, and that Onkyo's "customer service" won't do shit about it. I'll never buy another Onkyo.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

I will add, though. Nobody mentioned a single word about sound issues, quality of sound, etc. You did. In a weak attempt to stroke your own cock, and flex your self proclaimed prowess. If nothing else, I laughed at you.
                  Interesting. Didn't have any issues setting PCM out over HDMI to Onkyo AVR regarding HDCP handshake. Actually, I've never had a single hand shake issue with any device with any of the HDMI switching Onkyo AVR. Starting from mid level to the THX Select 2 units. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously it does. However, I've never experienced it.

I won't own any AVR other than Onkyo. They are top notch in their price range IMO. As I stated, I've owned several others and Onkyo blows them away. The only AVR I've found to be superior is signature series Marantz. Most people are quite impressed with the HT systems I set up, so I'm not real hurt by the criticism.

So, laugh all you want, if it pleases you to do so.

Comment

Personally, I have never found onkyo to be as accurate as harman kardon.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

My last four receivers were 2 integra (onkyo higher end line) and two denon. The denon replaced the integras. Both were comparible model lines. I have found the denon to be more reliable and I think a cleaner sound and no handshake issues. My current denons are a 1911 in the living room and 1909 in the bedroom. Really like them both. The 1911 is just the newer model of the 1909. I don't know if you plan on 3d but I can report no handshake or pass through issues with the 1911 being fed by Sony 3d bluray and directtv with 3d, xbox, all going in and then out with one hdmi to a mitsu 82" dlp. I know some people have some pass through issues with some brands so just wanted to throw that out there.
                      Last edited by odenspike; 01-01-2011, 08:59 AM. Reason: Model number correction
                      2017 Infinity Q50s Red Sport
                      2002 NSX

Comment

It may be amusing but I have been on over 2 dozen service calls in the past to replace Onkyo receivers not for sound quality issues nor handshake issues; but for the fact that they simply have crap video boards and overheating issues. I recently called Onkyo on a receiver I have(one that I took from a customer due to it having both issues above). they openly admitted to numerous issues with their 60x series receivers. You can talk to anyone in the market and know that they lead the industry in these issues.

I am partial to Onkyo and Sony products due to growing up with a showroom full of their products as my father sold their lines to the military. #1 salesman in the nation for years and years for both as a matter of fact. But for me the products I have in my house mostly consist of repaired electronics from customers and new Tv's that may not be the newest on the market due to the fact I tend to switch out my setups like you would underwear.

It would simply cost me too much $$$ to do the setup I want so I am always experimenting with different setups and when I get tired of them I end up throwing them on Craigslist for a %125-150 profit margin

When it comes to any home theater piece of equipment, everyone has opinions and they are like assholes, everyone has them! I personally have been pleased with Denon receivers. Partly due to the fact that they offer rs232 communication that can be used with Crestron and AMX control systems very reliably!

So back on the original subject. In the price range you will find many suitable receivers. Just do your research, www.avsforums.com, consumer reports etc. Go talk to the guys at Magnollia, Star Power, etc and they will all tell you their opinions on anything you may be considering.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                          It may be amusing but I have been on over 2 dozen service calls in the past to replace Onkyo receivers not for sound quality issues nor handshake issues; but for the fact that they simply have crap video boards and overheating issues. I recently called Onkyo on a receiver I have(one that I took from a customer due to it having both issues above). they openly admitted to numerous issues with their 60x series receivers. You can talk to anyone in the market and know that they lead the industry in these issues.
                          I'm not doubting that. However, I'm just saying I've never had an issue. And I've also rectified such issue by insuring the latest firmware is on the BD player itself. And, if it's a long cable throw, toss in a HDMI repeater which as been an issue in many instances I've encountered.

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1
                          When it comes to any home theater piece of equipment, everyone has opinions and they are like assholes, everyone has them! I personally have been pleased with Denon receivers. Partly due to the fact that they offer rs232 communication that can be used with Crestron and AMX control systems very reliably!

So back on the original subject. In the price range you will find many suitable receivers. Just do your research, www.avsforums.com, consumer reports etc. Go talk to the guys at Magnollia, Star Power, etc and they will all tell you their opinions on anything you may be considering.
                          Firstly, you are talking about very high end HT management systems when you mention AMX and the like. I'm talking about gear for the average user in the average living room/bedroom. And now with the growing popularity of DLNA. That's really all the average user is going to be looking for.

You are right. Opinions are just that, opinions. All subjective. I just stick with what works. Polk, Infinity, Onkyo, Panny Plasmas, Panny BD players, Dayton cables, APC UPSs, APC line conditioners, etc..seem to work reliably day in and day out for me.

HDCP handshake issues are always going to be an issue with different components.

And if I ever did have an issue with someone having handshake issues with a PS3 connected through an Onkyo AVR, I would just put in a HDMI hub allowing the the PS3 to bypass the HDMI switching of the Onkyo all together. And just run the PS3 straight to the TV. Unless, it's an older generation HDTV, it's going to have multiple assignable HDMI ports. Problem solved.

FYI#1: I've corrected HDMI handshake issues on varying brands switching AVRs by enabling HDMI pass through while on Standby. It's usually set to disabled in the default settings.

FYI#2: It's www.avsforum.com , not www.avsforums.com. I've been a member of there for a few years. Have had a few conversations with Film Mixer and Ralph Potts.
                          Last edited by LS1Goat; 01-01-2011, 04:41 PM.

Comment

And if I ever did have an issue with someone having handshake issues with a PS3 connected through an Onkyo AVR, I would just put in a HDMI hub allowing the the PS3 to bypass the HDMI switching of the Onkyo all together. And just run the PS3 straight to the TV. Unless, it's an older generation HDTV, it's going to have multiple assignable HDMI ports. Problem solved.

Problem solved? What about audio? I recently "solved" my handshake issues by running HDMI straight to the TV for video, but had to run optical to the receiver for audio, which doesn't support Dolby True HD or DTS-HD, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              Problem solved? What about audio? I recently "solved" my handshake issues by running HDMI straight to the TV for video, but had to run optical to the receiver for audio, which doesn't support Dolby True HD or DTS-HD, right?
                              '

This makes no sense to me. HDMI 1.3/1.4 carries Hi Definition audio + video from source to the device. Even it's a PCM downmixed 2 channel audio, you still get audio. I don't understand at all why you would use an optical cable to carry audio when you are using HDMI. That tells me that it is a source device issue or settings issue and not a handshake or HDMI issue. And you certainly aren't getting to experience Hi Definition codecs like DTS-MA or DolbyTrueHD over an optical cable. You are just getting the core soundtrack.

Something is not right in your set up, if that is the case. Or the settings on the source device are not set up correctly.

I can unplug my Panny BD player HDMI cable from my Onkyo, bypass it, and run it directly to the Panny Plasma and get PCM audio + 1080p/24 frame video. I just leave everything plugged into the Onkyo AVR because it upconverts all HDMI video sources to 1080p and passes it to the HDTV. Well, at least it will do so when I stream a 720p HD Netflix movie. And I don't experience any handshake issues, so I guess my point is moot.

Comment

Working...
                              X