Laptop recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop recommendations?

It looks like it's about time for me to buy a new laptop. I don't want Apple, and I don't do any gaming. What's your pick for a basic computer for web surfing, Office documents, etc.? I bought a Dell back in '07, and it is a piece of junk. Not sure how Dell's quality measures up today though.

I got the HP Pavilion dv7 for Christmas. I like it so far. Much better than the Gateway that I had.

Comment

For the money, acers are hard to beat

Comment

lol at the tag

Comment

Dell hands down. I hate HP with a passion btw

Comment

It all depends on what size you want and what features you need. For starters though go with at least an I3 processor and 4 gigs of ram. Personally I'm a fan of Toshiba laptops but there isn't anything wrong with Lenovo, HP or ACER. Heck even Samsung has jumped into the game now with some good ones. Sager is also very popular for enthusiasts but no retail stores carry them. For the money they are hard to beat.

I spent 2+ weeks shopping for mine (birthday/Christmas present to myself). Couldn't decide between the HP TM2, Toshiba's A665 series or their Qosmio line. Finally decided to buy the Qosmio since it had everything I wanted and offered an SSD drive, with a full keyboard an an 18.4" screen. Obviously the most expensive option but since it's a desktop replacement it's worth it to me.

The TM2 is pretty awesome but has a high failure rate on it's drives. If you want really small but lots of power it's a great option, just plan on upgrading to an SSD drive soon or be gentle when moving it around. It's a tablet and a laptop but you can get up to an I5 processor and seperate video card.

I didn't like the screen resolution on the A665 or really any of the 15.6-16" laptops. Other than Dell I couldn't seem to find anything offering more than 1366x768. Granted I'd probably never notice a difference but if you can get 1920x1080 why settle for less?

I also looked at the HP Envy series, lots of great options there but the bigger screen of the Toshiba sold me.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              It all depends on what size you want and what features you need. For starters though go with at least an I3 processor and 4 gigs of ram.
              I don't think the i3 is that critical if she's not going to be doing much more than web surfing and Officing. It'd certainly be nice but I don't think it's that big a deal. I picked up a refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad with a C2D and 2 GB DDR2, and it ran fine with Eclipse, Visual Studio, and Office under XP, and it's doing fine with Windows 7 meow. It's not lightning fast but it's not laggy either.
              Originally posted by MandyZ View Post
              It looks like it's about time for me to buy a new laptop. I don't want Apple, and I don't do any gaming. What's your pick for a basic computer for web surfing, Office documents, etc.? I bought a Dell back in '07, and it is a piece of junk. Not sure how Dell's quality measures up today though.
              Keep your eye on Buy.com. They've got tons of deals on laptops and desktops and just about everything else, even non-computer stuff.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                Dell hands down. I hate HP with a passion btw
                Why?

Comment

I picked up a Toshiba satellite for 379 @ best buy. 3.2 ghz processor, 4 gigs of ram, 250gb hard drive. It's the basic of basics as far as laptop go and look. But it is for the garage and it has the hardware.
                  Vortex rear stand $75
                  8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                  My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                  but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                  11 4 door
                  13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                    Why?
                    I bought a pavilion 6000v in 2008, the hinge has broke, I don't even use the laptop all that much and the damn thing broke.

I hate their printers, I hate their laptops, their desktops seem to be ok. I have a damn officejet printer that I bought early last year, damn thing is broke now too.

Comment

Also watch www.dealcatcher.com.
                      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

What is your budget? If you arn't going to do any crazy shit then I'd go with Acer, Dell, or HP. Me personally, I'd go to best buy, buy a nice cheap one and get it warrantied.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was thinking Dell or HP, but I'll consider the others as well.

...Lol @ the tags.

Comment

Originally posted by MandyZ View Post
                            Thanks guys. I was thinking Dell or HP, but I'll consider the others as well.

...Lol @ the tags.
                            You cant rape the willing, can you? Now bend over! You have what it takes to get a nice, new laptop.

Comment

Stranger danger!

Comment

Working...
                              X