Gusset strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gusset strength

Anyone know the strength differences in 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4" plate if used in the same shape and application off gussets?

In relation to what? Like, a cage?

The strenght differences will vary quite a bit, I mean, I'd say that 99.99% of the time, thicker is better as long as it's within reason. If it's any thicker than the parent materials of what you're putting it on - then there's not a lot of sense to it.

Comment

Id use the thickest i could, but like brooks said never thicker than what the parent material is.

Comment

if you drill a hole in them, they get stronger, surface area increase on axis perpendicular to load.
        pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
          if you drill a hole in them, they get stronger, surface area increase on axis perpendicular to load.
          can you explain this in further detail?
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I don't see how that is possible..... Not even if you run a dimple die through them

Comment

I'm assuming he's saying it's the same reason a 'pipe' is stronger that a solid bar. Surface area is signifigantly higher in a pipe since you have the outside diameter AND the inside diameter to contend with.

I can see it applying to a gusset as well, but not near as much since it's a flat piece of material (assuming we are not talking about tubular gussets.) The surface area only increases on the inner areas of the hole.

I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns - as, you wouldn't want to drill a hole perpindicular to the axis of a tube to 'make it stronger'. You'd effectively be giving it a place to fold - but I'd think that would apply to a flat gusset as well. I guess it more depends on what kind of forces are applied as to whether or not it's stronger for a given application.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                can you explain this in further detail?
                I was thinking the same thing. I've used both kinds and was informed by non-engineer cage builders that the flat gussets with holes were stronger, but every part of my engineering brain says "lighter" which would be insignificant, not stronger.

If he is asking about other types of gussets, the dimples are self explanatory...to me.
                sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                86 SVO - Sold
                '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

the surface area of the hole you create runs on the same axis as the 45 degree run of the gusset, in turn, adding surface area.
                  pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

the surface area of the hole you create runs on the same axis as the 45 degree run of the gusset, in turn, adding surface area.
                    Would it not fold easier?
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If the load is parrallel with the gusset, I can see it being stronger, but as soon as you get any type of side load then it becomes weaker since there is less material and allowing the gusset to buckle

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                        In relation to what? Like, a cage?

The strenght differences will vary quite a bit, I mean, I'd say that 99.99% of the time, thicker is better as long as it's within reason. If it's any thicker than the parent materials of what you're putting it on - then there's not a lot of sense to it.
                        I'm building a plate front bumper for a pickup out of 3/16" plate that has a few angles. I already planned on gussets for added strength. I was bored last night and ended up making them out of 3/16. I understand that thinner than the parent metal=weak setup, but does it make the gusset pointless?

Grape, so do using dimple dies weaken it since the hole isn't exactly on the same plane?
                        Last edited by 4EyedTurd; 09-13-2012, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                          Would it not fold easier?
                          it absolutely will fold easier in one direction, but gets stiffer in the other.
                          pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                            I'm building a plate front bumper for a pickup out of 3/16" plate that has a few angles. I already planned on gussets for added strength. I was bored last night and ended up making them out of 3/16. I understand that thinner than the parent metal=weak setup, but does it make the gusset pointless?

Grape, so do using dimple dies weaken it since the hole isn't exactly on the same plane?
                            dimples strengthen when a force is applied in a direction perpendicular to the center of the hole. Like the lightweight seats. this is hard to explain without being able to draw it.
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

dimples strengthen when a force is applied in a direction perpendicular to the center of the hole. Like the lightweight seats. this is hard to explain without being able to draw it.
                              MS Paint, get to it.
                              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Working...
                              X