The other thread got me started.

Standard PSA lower reciever
    Comercial buffer tube
    MIAD grip with the large palm swell
    MOE stock
    1/8" steel ball bearing (1)
    8-32 tap
    8-32 plug (1)
    #10-32 x 3/4" button head allen bolts and nuts/washers (4)
    1/2" x 1/8" steel strap

Safety mod needed first:
    Tap the spring hole with a 8-32 tap
    Run a 1/8" drill bit by HAND just to clean up the threads and smooth out the detent bore
    Cut the safety spring down to roughly 1/4" (YMMV)
    Installed the safety, 1/8" ball bearing spring then the 8-32x3/16" plug (adjust tension till safety feels the way you want it) (use a little loctite just to be on the safe side)

Mod the buffer tube:
    I want the recoil to cycle between the 2nd and 3rd to last adjustment on mine.
    Dremel between the two holes and make it as smooth as you can
    Install buffer to the reciever if haven't already done so

Mod the MIAD grip:
    Line up the 1/2" steel strap on the grip base and mark out two holes
    Drill the plate first
    I used a clamp to hold the grip base to the steel bar and then I drilled my two holes into it
    Install button head #10 bolts and nuts and tighten the bar down
    Dremel out the palm swell to clear the button heads. Installing it over and over will tell you where it is rubbing. Repeat until it goes on and comes off without too much force.
    Cut the rear of the palm swell and bend the steel bar to the contour of the swell for now.
    Dremel the grip mount to slide freely on the reciever but don't take too much material off.

With the grip held up on the reciever bend your flat bar till it is parrallel with the buffer tube.
    Measure with your MOE stock where you want it to be in the forward position. Mark your bar and bend till it is the same angle as the stock.
    Drill out the two openings for your fastners (see pics) and dremel/file smooth.
    Clamp the steel strap to the stock and drill for #10 x 3/4" long bolts. Install the bolts with two washers to space the bar from the stock. Otherwise you won't get stock on or off the tube.

Test your setup and adjust until it slides and functions the way you want.

Last edited by KBScobravert; 09-19-2012, 10:03 PM.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Impressive. Thank you for the write up. I was going to buy a slidefire stock on my next project but I may just build it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    03 cobra

Comment

I think it needs something to support the steel strap so it stays parrellel to the tube the entire time it cycles.

Maybe another MOE stock to cut and plastic weld to the first one and then attach it to the steel strap where my orange strap is in the photo.

Comment

Looks good dude and thanks for the write up.

I had asked in the other thread and one of the questions was answered. No heat to bend the strap right? Just lock it into a vise and put some muscle behind it.

The other question was determining the length of the metal strap where it bends at the stock. I was thinking of bending at position 2 on the buffer, but would it be best to bend the strap at position 3? I'm probably over thinking this.

I don't mind a short LOP, I think it would help to keep my right arm tucked in and give me more control as the rifle cycles.

And y'all are welcome, glad to see someone run with it.

Comment

I'm wondering if something similar to the end plate could be designed to keep the metal strap from flexing.

Comment

I think a better option than adding a support would be to tack weld a vertical bar against the existing one to give it rigidity. Also, if you added an oversized metal piece and bolted it where the pistol grip goes, you could cut races into the pistol grip to keep it from moving vertically.
            Last edited by CJ; 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

What about the finger rest piece that attaches to the pistol grip? Are you just not to that point yet, or do you think it is unnecessary?

I was thinking I could melt a small piece to the front of the grip so it is in line and doesn't stick out like the guy on arfcom. Then I was thinking maybe use plasti-dip or something similar (flex-seal?) to make it uniform and keep a textured grip.
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                What about the finger rest piece that attaches to the pistol grip? Are you just not to that point yet, or do you think it is unnecessary?

I was thinking I could melt a small piece to the front of the grip so it is in line and doesn't stick out like the guy on arfcom. Then I was thinking maybe use plasti-dip or something similar (flex-seal?) to make it uniform.
                That is going to be important, as it will be difficult to keep your finger from bending and changing the engagement point.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm not quite sure how these things work. Seems as though the first shot is supposed to recoil the rifle back against a spring, which then sends the rifle (sans the solid one-piece grip and stock) forward to where you keep your finger at a set engagement point where the trigger "bumps" your finger, firing off as many rounds as you want in succession?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                    Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm not quite sure how these things work. Seems as though the first shot is supposed to recoil the rifle back against a spring, which then sends the rifle (sans the solid one-piece grip and stock) forward to where you keep your finger at a set engagement point where the trigger "bumps" your finger, firing off as many rounds as you want in succession?
                    Basically. The forward momentum from the spring does not send the rifle itself forward, it just pushes the bolt/carrier forward to insert another round into the chamber like normal. The rifle coming forward is because you push forward on the handguard or vfg with your left/other hand.

If another spring sent the rifle forward I think it would be deemed illegal by the ATF, I want to say that has been tried before.
                    Last edited by slow06; 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM.
                    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                      Basically. The forward momentum from the spring does not send the rifle itself forward, it just pushes the bolt/carrier forward to insert another round into the chamber like normal. The rifle coming forward is because you push forward on the handguard or vfg with your left/other hand.

If another spring sent the rifle forward I think it would be deemed illegal by the ATF, I want to say that has been tried before.
                      Yes, it was called the Akins accelerator. It was for the Ruger 10/22, basically the action and barrel (the whole damn gun) moved inside the stock and used a spring to push the action forward back into your finger.

The summarize and cut through all the BS and misinformation what really happened was Bill Akins submitted an SKS Akins accelerator stock to the ATF for approval. The Technology department of the ATF reviewed and tested the stock and approved it saying basically "It doesn't work the way we think you mean it to, but if it does work this way it's illegal. But as submitted, it's legal. Basically, they were saying the stock Bill Akins submitted to them was broken and didn't work, but they said if it does actuate on a spring, it's not legal. He went ahead with his 10/22 stock, sold several, and then the ATF stepped in and said it was illegal, referenced their previous memo which said if it fires more than one round per depression of the trigger, it was an illegal machinegun, and that was the end of it. He was forced to send letters out to all the customers, and refund their money (which I believe the original stock was like $1,100 or so).

Now, recently Fostech Outdoors purchased the patent from Bill Akins and removed the spring (which was the whole point of contention) and released it.

Basically to make it work it has to have a super light trigger and it operates the same as the bump stocks. Interestingly enough though, Fostech is suing Slidefire Solutions on the basis that it is a patent infringement on Bill Adkin's original accelerator patent, which as mentioned before, they own now. This is the same company that makes the Bumpski, and DefendAR-15 stocks.

Comment

I looked at it some today. I agree a short steel bar welded in will prove all the stiffness it needs.

I still need to figure out the finger rest and an extension just below the trigger guard to keep my finger out of the way.

Comment

I'm all for making something yourself, but this one is lost on me.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            I'm all for making something yourself, but this one is lost on me.
                            Elitist bastard!

Comment

Needs more video!
                              IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                              X