Best method to fix deep scratches in paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best method to fix deep scratches in paint

What's the best product or method to fixing deep scratches other than repainting? I have one a few inches long that is through the clearcoat and would like to avoid repainting.

If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it has gone through the clearcoat and you MUST paint the panel to repair it. Anything else will look like you put nail polish on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by kennybo View Post
      If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail then it has gone through the clearcoat and you MUST paint the panel to repair it. Anything else will look like you put nail polish on the car.
      Yup!

Comment

Is it mettalic paint? If so, go get a repaint. If it is a non-mettalic color, a good detailer will be able to clean up the wound, fill, fill, fill, then sand and polish it up. The color may possibly be slightly off, but it will be cheaper than a repaint. Mettalic touchups will never look right due to the fact that the flakes will set up in a different fashion the the original paint.
        Detailing by Dylan
        817-494-3396
        Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
        Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Originally posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
          Is it mettalic paint? If so, go get a repaint. If it is a non-mettalic color, a good detailer will be able to clean up the wound, fill, fill, fill, then sand and polish it up. The color may possibly be slightly off, but it will be cheaper than a repaint. Mettalic touchups will never look right due to the fact that the flakes will set up in a different fashion the the original paint.

Comment

^Maybe you can explain?
            Detailing by Dylan
            817-494-3396
            Meticuloustx7@gmail.com

Comment

You can't sand and buff basecoat nor can you sand and buff touch up paint.

Comment

You can't sand and buff basecoat nor can you sand and buff touch up paint.
                Im am not reffering to buffing basecoat. I have succesfully fixed RIDS where there was no paint left, down to the metal. After cleaning upmthe jagged edges with a few ceamic tools I have, I lightly fill layer after layer with a suler fine brush using basecoat. Before it fills over the top, I then use a few layers of clearcoat. (allowing time between coats) after the leve is brought up to barely over the surrounding paint, and after having cure time, it can be hit with 2000-3000 and finished down. It may not look perfect like a repaint would do, but it is cheaper and you would really have to look to find where the damage was.
                Detailing by Dylan
                817-494-3396
                Meticuloustx7@gmail.com

Comment

Kenny, in my opinion he is right. It works best with white or black with me. I wouldn't do it with Vatozone touch, but at work, Ill mix the color in with some activated clear. Basically you are making singlestage paint. Fill in the chip or small scratch. Wait for it to dry, then get a stick and block it with 1200 to 1500 wet/dry paper. I alway do it wet. Polish it and you have a decent fix. A one to two inch scratch is my limit. The main problem you have is burning the thin clearcoat around your touchup when blocking or buffing.

Comment

Originally posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
                    Im am not reffering to buffing basecoat. I have succesfully fixed RIDS where there was no paint left, down to the metal. After cleaning upmthe jagged edges with a few ceamic tools I have, I lightly fill layer after layer with a suler fine brush using basecoat. Before it fills over the top, I then use a few layers of clearcoat. (allowing time between coats) after the leve is brought up to barely over the surrounding paint, and after having cure time, it can be hit with 2000-3000 and finished down. It may not look perfect like a repaint would do, but it is cheaper and you would really have to look to find where the damage was.
                    If you are going that far with it, then I can see how that would turn out ok on a non metallic color. I thought you were one of those people that thought touch paint fixes everything when instead it makes it look like a 5 year old put nail polish on a car. Your process makes sense and it make it ok, but not 100% as you said.

Comment

If you are going that far with it, then I can see how that would turn out ok on a non metallic color. I thought you were one of those people that thought touch paint fixes everything when instead it makes it look like a 5 year old put nail polish on a car. Your process makes sense and it make it ok, but not 100% as you said.
                      Exactly. Yeah, I was entertained when a family member was exicted to tell me that they fixed 'all' of their chips; nevertheless, it turned out to be a hood with a bunch of blobs on it...
                      Detailing by Dylan
                      817-494-3396
                      Meticuloustx7@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X