Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to go about setting up HDMI over cat6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to go about setting up HDMI over cat6?

I have a video card in my PC that has mini-HDMI output. I need to run a distance of 50 feet, to my TV. There is no way around this. I live in a small house, and there is no way for me to rearrange, at all. So this is what I'm stuck with.

So I was hoping someone here could line out everything I will need for this project. My TV is a 2009 Mitsubishi WD-65837. So I was hoping that someone here could sorta line out what all I need. I was hoping there was just some kit for sale somewhere, that you just buy and install, and wam-bam you have HDMI over cat6 going to your TV. I am imagining something like this:

HTPC> MiniHDMI adaptor> HDMI to Cat6 converter box> 50' Cat6 cable> Cat6 to HDMI converter box> HDMI cable> TV.

Since I know very little about this method, I'm guessing this is not entirely accurate.

http://cable-electronics.com/

Used to use them for a retail solution, but they might have something inexpensive enough for single home use.

By the way, you can get 50 ft HDMI cables and signal boosters if needed....

I used to Project Manage this crap for work, so PM me if you need any help...
    Last edited by Gargamel; 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Ok thank you. I'm doing cat6 cause it supports 10gb per second rather than 1gb. You know, for future proofing and all that good stuff. What kind of cost would be your ballpark guess, doing this for 50'? Also, does my crummy little diagram look about right for the layout?

And, I've never really heard of the whole booster thing for HDMI. Would something like this be recommended for a booster?

Trying to do this on the cheap lol

Comment

Unfortunately, True HD over distance does not come cheap.

Have you already run the Cat6?

If strictly on a budget, I would probably go with a long high quality HDMI cable ($120 or so) and try to hide it REALLY well without going through the wall.

This is what I would do:

HTPC> MiniHDMI adaptor> 50' HDMI cable > TV.

If you have problems with the picture, you will need to get a good booster with an EQ unit to compensate for the loss of high-frequency information. ($50)

Going through the wall with wall mount plates for the cable on both ends would look cleaner, but then you usually have to add distance to run the cable up the wall, over, and then back down, and at that distance I wouldn't add any more connections than absolutely required if you are trying to stay at any sort of budget... and then you can run into major problems with signal degradation as you make the run longer.

It's not an exact science... I've seen some hardware (HDTV\Source) work awesome at 100 feet with a crappy 10 dollar booster and some hardware that would give you crap at 50 feet. All on the same cable....

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to test the run and the performance of the picture BEFORE you make the final run. Also, no matter the solution, try to avoid running your wire near any sort of electrical sources, especially any flex within the wall.

For a real clean professional look, I would pay the extra 100 to 150 dollars or so and go with the Cat6 conversion (Good systems run around 250 to 300 dollars) through the wall with some nice wall plates.

Here is a good source for HDMI cable info: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...n-hdmi-run.htm

If you need any more info, just let me know...
        Last edited by Gargamel; 12-31-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

That's some good reading material right there. But do you have any idea how a signal booster like the one that I posted, could possibly work without being powered? Seems weird to me.

Comment

Its probably powered by a transformer that plugs in the wall.
            (They're probably just not showing it.)

For what it's worth, I wouldn't get the one you have linked....
            I've seen similar ones at a similar price point and in general they suck.

Comment

Awesome product for the price... Great catch 2K2!

Just be aware that they are not certified for the latest HDMI Rev (You'll want to check your source and receiver) and require 2 cables instead of 1.

But still probably perfect for what photon needs....

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                Awesome product for the price... Great catch 2K2!

Just be aware that they are not certified for the latest HDMI Rev (You'll want to check your source and receiver) and require 2 cables instead of 1.

But still probably perfect for what photon needs....
                Correct and don't skimp on using cat 5e over the necessary Cat 6!

Comment

Working...
                X