Just inherited a car - oxidized paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just inherited a car - oxidized paint

So my brother in law bought a MazdaSpeed3 over the weekend. So he gave back a 1995 Nissan Sentra 200SX to my parents who let him borrow it...for like...ever. Well they didn't want it anymore, so I get to have it now.

I have a buffer set up , but I used all my cleaning agents up on my 1966 Mustang when I buffed out my paintjob.

I'll try to get some photos up, but what do you guys recommend to bring a cars paint job back "from the edge".

I think it can be saved (except the spoiler - it's too far gone and will have to be re-clearcoated)

TLDR: Older car, oxidizing paint, some clearcoat bubbles, what's the best way to get it back without painting?

I fully plan on putting this car back to 100% stock. It has Wal-Mart "prime" wheels on it that all the fake chrome flaked off of, some horrible rice exhaust and bad paint. It will be my new DD as it gets 38 mpg.

Bubbles in paint? I'd be afraid of taking it right off. Is it ss or cc?
    Detailing by Dylan
    817-494-3396
    Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
    Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

I have to assume it's clearcoat, unless they only did single stage paint in 1995?

Comment

Not quite sure. If you have any type of abrasive compound (could be megs colorx, scratchX etc.) put some on a cotton terry towel and run it in to an inconspicuous part of the paint. If there is color on the cloth, then bingo, it's SS.

As far as removing the oxidation goes, a paint thickness meter would be need to determine how much (thickness) you have to work with. If there is a workable amount left, I'd go straight to wool on a rotary, Megs 105. Then of course work down to 205, 106fa whatever you'd like on a orange or white LC pad. It is possible to just use a d/a. I wet sanded the driver side of the mustang 2 weeks ago to remove the orange peel. Polished up 100% with megs red/105-300 mix, then 205 to polish up.
        Detailing by Dylan
        817-494-3396
        Meticuloustx7@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks 89, I was going to pick up some 105/205 tonight with a wool pad then finish with a foam pad, assuming I have anything left to work with.

Worst case, I sand the hood/top/trunk down, and put a 2 stage paint job on it. I'm not the best painter, so that is why I am trying to salvage what is left. TO ME, looks like the CC is gone and the base coat is now appearing underneath. No metal/primer is showing...yet

Possible to respray (assuming its a 2 stage original) CC and then polish it in once cured?

Not trying to make this into a show car, just want the paint to look decent.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
            Thanks 89, I was going to pick up some 105/205 tonight with a wool pad then finish with a foam pad, assuming I have anything left to work with.

Worst case, I sand the hood/top/trunk down, and put a 2 stage paint job on it. I'm not the best painter, so that is why I am trying to salvage what is left. TO ME, looks like the CC is gone and the base coat is now appearing underneath. No metal/primer is showing...yet

Possible to respray (assuming its a 2 stage original) CC and then polish it in once cured?

Not trying to make this into a show car, just want the paint to look decent.
            You live in Keller? Come by and I'll give you the 205. I have some extra you're welcome to. Swing by with the car and I could give you some pointers, if you want. It would be possible to just have some CC resprayed, no doubt, depending on 1.) current basecoat condition and 2.) if you are willing to live with the paint probably being faded in areas.

I'll be home til about 8, then I am meeting a client at the Starbucks on 1709 to go over what I am going to be doing on his IS-F. You are welcome to come if that time is better. Let me know.
            Detailing by Dylan
            817-494-3396
            Meticuloustx7@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by 89gt-stanger View Post
              You live in Keller? Come by and I'll give you the 205. I have some extra you're welcome to. Swing by with the car and I could give you some pointers, if you want. It would be possible to just have some CC resprayed, no doubt, depending on 1.) current basecoat condition and 2.) if you are willing to live with the paint probably being faded in areas.

I'll be home til about 8, then I am meeting a client at the Starbucks on 1709 to go over what I am going to be doing on his IS-F. You are welcome to come if that time is better. Let me know.
              Crap, sorry I didn't respond to your generous offer. I went down to Pep Boys and grabbed some Meg's Diamond Cut 2.0 and a foam pad then got to work without ever logging back on.

I don't think this cars paint is salvageable, the clearcoat is mostly destroyed. It kept just flaking up and off. Not really wanting to invest too much time/money into it. It's just a DD.

I'll try to get those pictures up here shortly to show how bad it is.

Comment

Working...
              X