How to find a GOOD detailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a GOOD detailer.

I live in Los Angeles now and my car after the 1500 mile trip could use some TLC, at the very least a good solid waxing. This is nearly impossible to do as I live downtown and space is super premium and I dont know the area that well to know the goto spots. I would like to try and find a place to do this stuff, but I dont trust these random car wash places that offer these types of services.

I would like to keep this under $300.

Is there a checklist of shit I should ask or be aware of before picking someone to detail my car ( ie. the latest technology, the type of water, etc )

I've never had someone do any sort of detailing on my car other than myself, so I have no idea where to turn to.

Are these normal car wash places that charge $150 - $200 for a 'full service detail' worth a shit?

Should I try to find someone individually ( like via craigslist, yelp etc ).

Any information would help as my cars paint is super dry and thirsty.

Honestly, I've been so disappointed in what I got for my money, I just do my own. For the cost of a really good detail, you can about pay for every chemical and piece of equipment you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      Honestly, I've been so disappointed in what I got for my money, I just do my own. For the cost of a really good detail, you can about pay for every chemical and piece of equipment you need.
      Only problem is the 10+ hours it takes. (at least for me on a car or truck)
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I would not just take it anywhere, swirl marks can be a real bitch to remove. Maybe post here http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/

PS, welcome to L.A. I moved here last November.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          Only problem is the 10+ hours it takes. (at least for me on a car or truck)
          It's therapy for me. I'm not starting with a POS, either. I drove my GTS about 800 miles last year, per the inspection, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Comment

I would welcome the time and space to do it myself, but the problem is I have no idea where I could go plop my car for ten fucking hours to clean it that well. Even just doing the paint and waxing it with off the shelf stuff is going to take a few hours, those types of places dont seem to be abundant around.

Comment

OP-go to Autopia.org
              Some of the people on there are the best detailers, in the world. No doubt. There is a section where you can look at the "click and brags" and see their work. (Im on there

There is also a section where you can post up and find a detailer near you. When you meet the potential detailer, feel free to ask many many questions. Ask them stuff like, "how do you know when my car needs to be clayed" etc. There are MANY hacks out there that give us detailer a bad name and bring down the average cost of a detail. For instance, I charge $32/hour for general decontamination (cleaning interiors, washing, claying and sealants/waxes with the exception of opticoat). For polishing, I charge $45/hour. I may not have volume, but have a solid customer base of people who are willing to pay for top notch work.

Also, there is a product called "Optimum No Rinse" that will allow someone to safely clean their vehicle without having to use a hose, only 2 gallons of water. Look into this product if you are in an apartment or in a area where usig a hose will not generally work.

Good luck, if you would like me to find a referene for you, PM me with you location in LA and I will let you know.

Dylan Lachance
              Detailing by Dylan
              817-494-3396
              Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
              Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

Thanks Dylan, I found some people on that list and you've provided me with an awesome starting point to sniff the bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                X