Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear suspension? car tweeked? maybe just shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear suspension? car tweeked? maybe just shocks?

i know you can say for certaing but here is my question. my car has 170k on the body and ive yet to put new shocks/struts on the car. i havent had it the entire time (2nd owner) but i know the original owner and he wouldnt have changed them either. so i know the shocks and struts are shot and will be replacing here soon. if i measure the distance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender on the rear wheels, the distance is shorter on the driver side than that of the passenger side.

does this mean my car is tweekd from the 10 or so outing to track or can it be the result of worn out shocks causing the car to lean twards the driver side?

Could be just the shocks worn out. I'd replace them and see if it helps. Could also be worn spring isolators, bad bushings, etc.
    Last edited by bobs94formula; 11-14-2010, 10:56 PM.
    92 LX 5.0

Comment

With that many miles on the original shocks, I'd think it is a worn part problem more than a tweaked chassis. Also, as mentioned, your rubber suspension components(spring isolators, bushings,etc) should probably be looked at too.

Comment

ok cool i know it being tweekd is an option. i was just looking for someone to tell me that it could be something else other than that to keep me optimistic

Comment

Anybody else had this issue? I would like to upgrade to adjustables but will have to go just oem stuff for money sake

Comment

Stock suspension? Adjustable links? On ladder bars and 4 link cars, you preload them and it causes the car to sit higher on the passenger side.

Comment

+/- 1/2" difference in wheel well height from side to side on a strait axle car is normal. How even your front end and the sway bars on both ends can affect this also.

You can lossen the from sway bar and remove the rear on a flat surface, check the front height and the rear and see where you are. Level out the front first, tighten the front sway bar and measure again. Make sure after you have it snug the front is still level. Then you can tackle the rear.

If you're changing out components anyway, coil over shocks would allow more independent adjustability to level it all out.

Full length sub-frame connectors would also be a good investment so time and miles don't cause your ride to sag and undo the work you're about to do.

-Jonny
              2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
              '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
              '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

I had this problem a while back. The driver side was a good half inch lower than the other side. I replaced the shocks and noticed the bushing in that sock was almost gone. With new shocks, it's still a tiny bit lower on the driver side, but it's not really noticeable anymore.

Comment

Shock absorbers have NOTHING to do with ride height!

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
                    Shock absorbers have NOTHING to do with ride height!
                    You've never seen a worn out shock cause a car to lean?
                    92 LX 5.0

Comment

Thats what i was thinking. If the shock does not support the car you would think the car would sag andcause it to lean

Comment

Maybe garycrist is confused. I didnt do any mods or changes to cause it to lean. The car had a great stance and then one day i noticed the ass end was crooked and sure as shit the car the car is leaning

Comment

But the point about shocks having nothing to do with ride hight is still valid. They just determine how the car "bounces". No? If you remove the shocks entirely the ride height should be the same but how the springs react to input will be drastically different. So if the shock is bad on one side that side will "bounce" more and the shock that is working correctly will be dampened.

Of course if the shocks are fully compressed they MIGHT cause a difference but otherwise they shouldn't. At least thats how I see it theoretically.

Comment

i KNOW the shocks are shot so we'll start there anyway and then just see i guess. what sucks is both of my cars have pesky things wrong with them and i need to get one up and running

Comment

saggy old worn out springs will make it lean!

Comment

Working...
                              X