Lets talk Tig welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk Tig welders

I have been getting into tig welding, been practicing at the shop on our dynosaur welder. Looking at possibly purchasing my own welder and was wondering what you guys would recommend as an affordable entry level welder. needs to be ad/dc input voltage 240 max, i will need to wire my garage either way. Been looking at the eastwood welder. They are offering a tig, plasma and cart for $1200.. seems like a good deal with decent reviews on the products.

any other tips would be appreciated!

Here is my latest welds. Keeping in mind I only have about 3-4 hours experience behind a tig torch..

Tips are much appreciated!

Comment

I suggest using josh new welder
      True Street MotorSports
      901 N McDonald St Suite 100
      McKinney TX 75069

Shop 972.542.9886
      Fax 972. 542.9879

Nitrous Refills $4lb

Comment

Miller ...
        07 GT500
        05 SRT10
        88 turbocoupe T-bird
        93 Cobra
        86 coupe
        Ducati 848

Comment

I have a maxstar 150 that is 110/230v. I paid $700 for it on CL. It works perfect for what I use it for and it has stick capability as well. I think it's a great starter rig and I'll keep it even after I upgrade to a synchrowave
          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

damn it i was trying to troll naynay from my phone. i thought he posted that. sorry toby i know that seemed to come from left field because i was aimed at naynay as a troll. fail on my part
            Last edited by TEAMJACOB; 11-18-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Next time quote all the pictures twice teamjackass.

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                You suck. Tip: stop trying
                Can you do any better pube flosser?

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                No shit LOL! He's still upset Bella told Jacob to fuck off.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                  Can you do any better pube flosser?

No shit LOL! He's still upset Bella told Jacob to fuck off.
                  Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                  fail on my part. was trying to troll naynay from my phone. i thought he posted that
                  Last edited by TEAMJACOB; 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I'll see your raise and call it with a post reported.

Comment

Those welds above are decent, but don't get into the habbit of going over a weld after you've laid it out. It's not industry accepted, and in the right application can be dangerous. Learn how to lay them down correctly first, THEN learn how to clean them up if necessary.

If you dip the tungsten, stop and regrind it - don't keep going. Depending on severity, this can scrap your part or at the very least, put a big ugly spot in it.

If you're welding steel, use a very sharp point. The blue tungsten will last longest, the green is the hardest to arc start but lasts a while, and the red is the easiest to weld with but lasts the least amount of time.

If you're welding aluminum, clean clean clean. Then clean again. Use a stainless brush, idealy never used on anyting but aluminum. I personally dont use that method much - but use a dedicated coarse scotch brite pad, followed up by acetone. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEAN OR CARB CLEANER. Some brands contain chlorine, which can cause phosgene poisining. Galvanized material is just as bad, You just have to grind it far enough back to keep from welding on the coated area. Weld in a ventilated area.

EDIT: Don't suddently start and stop, those create 'keyholes' and more often that not, those are places a crack will start.

Now, off my high horse and on to the welders - If you're on a budget and a name brand welder isn't in the budget, I'd look at the Everlast welders. Yes, they are imported, Yes, they can have problems...but you can get a TIG, SMAW, and plasma cutter all in one for ~1700$. My miller Dynasty 200DX was 4500$ alone. I owned and used one of the Everlast Power Pro welders and had NO problems while I had it, sold it and he's still using it with no problems either..

last but not least, quit bieng douches above.. lol.

Comment

Nice work Toby, I have absolutely no imput or advice as I have never picked a tig torch up, bur I commend you on your learning it. I hope to some day gain some experience with one.

Comment

i edited my posts. sorry toby. i read the thread wrong from my phone and thought naynay posted that

Comment

Originally posted by TEAMJACOB View Post
                            i edited my posts. sorry toby. i read the thread wrong from my phone and thought naynay posted that
                            Sigh. Your weaknesses trump your talent.
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                              Those welds above are decent, but don't get into the habbit of going over a weld after you've laid it out. It's not industry accepted, and in the right application can be dangerous. Learn how to lay them down correctly first, THEN learn how to clean them up if necessary.

If you dip the tungsten, stop and regrind it - don't keep going. Depending on severity, this can scrap your part or at the very least, put a big ugly spot in it.

If you're welding steel, use a very sharp point. The blue tungsten will last longest, the green is the hardest to arc start but lasts a while, and the red is the easiest to weld with but lasts the least amount of time.

If you're welding aluminum, clean clean clean. Then clean again. Use a stainless brush, idealy never used on anyting but aluminum. I personally dont use that method much - but use a dedicated coarse scotch brite pad, followed up by acetone. DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEAN OR CARB CLEANER. Some brands contain chlorine, which can cause phosgene poisining. Galvanized material is just as bad, You just have to grind it far enough back to keep from welding on the coated area. Weld in a ventilated area.

EDIT: Don't suddently start and stop, those create 'keyholes' and more often that not, those are places a crack will start.

Now, off my high horse and on to the welders - If you're on a budget and a name brand welder isn't in the budget, I'd look at the Everlast welders. Yes, they are imported, Yes, they can have problems...but you can get a TIG, SMAW, and plasma cutter all in one for ~1700$. My miller Dynasty 200DX was 4500$ alone. I owned and used one of the Everlast Power Pro welders and had NO problems while I had it, sold it and he's still using it with no problems either..

last but not least, quit bieng douches above.. lol.
                              Very good post and its much appreciated!! My uncle is a mrg at air gas, but even with a good deal price, miller or lincoln welders are just out of the budget. I would like to keep the price around 1k or less would be best... What tungsten would you recommend for aluminum? I have been using red for both steel and aluminum. That pipe is literally my second attempt at welding aluminum, so before I went back over the welds, it looked pretty terrible, strong but ugly. With it being up top and in plain sight, i had to clean it up. I do not plan to ever do it on a critical part like control arm. Right now I am only building pipes, modifying valve covers, etc..

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                              Nice work Toby, I have absolutely no imput or advice as I have never picked a tig torch up, bur I commend you on your learning it. I hope to some day gain some experience with one.
                              thanks man!

Comment

Working...
                              X