Plasma or LED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma or LED

Gonna buy a new TV for the living room and I know absolutely shit about TV's. Currently have an old 35 tube type tv and need to upgrade to the current century. Thinking about a 60 or bigger. School me and tell me what I want and why please.

I really don't know much about the LED tvs, but I will say, a con to the plasma is the glare due to the shiny screen. I know several people advertise an anti glare screen, but they don't work in my experience. Due to the glass/glare, it's best to not use them in a room that has a lot of natural light.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I prefer plasma over LCD but in 60"+ it is expensive as shit. You can get a 70-80" LCD for the same price or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
        I prefer plasma over LCD but in 60"+ it is expensive as shit. You can get a 70-80" LCD for the same price or less.

I also prefer Plasma over LCD but he's asking about LED and I don't know anything about them except they are skinny and light weight
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          I also prefer Plasma over LCD but he's asking about LED and I don't know anything about them except they are skinny and light weight
          LED is LCD just different panel light source. LED is a marketing scam although It does help in energy consumption and makes it possible to fit the lighting source in a smaller chassis.

Comment

learn something new every day I guess..
            1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

wal-mart has a 51'' Samsung plasma for $548

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                wal-mart has a 51'' Samsung plasma for $548
                Sad that just 5 years ago I paid $2000 for my 51" Sammy

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  a con to the plasma is the glare due to the shiny screen.
                  Ok, I had heard it was the other way around? That the LED and LCD screens had bad glare and the plasma didn't? I have been told that the plasma units due put off heat and use more energy. I guess considering I'm going from an old tube type box that any upgrade would be a significant improvement and I would probably be happy with whatever I buy. I'm just cheap and this tv will probably have to last for years or until it dies and I don't want to be regretting a purchase 6 months later.

Thanks guys.

Comment

With a plasma, you'll deal with burn in issues as well. Go with an LED/LCD. Little more money, but worth it if your room you are putting it in is not very dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                      Sad that just 5 years ago I paid $2000 for my 51" Sammy

I paid nearly 3800 for my 60" plasma little over 3 years ago.

Saw the same one for sale a few months ago for $1500
                      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I've got a 60" Samsung plasma in my living room that I love.

If you can see a window or bright light in the reflection of your TV where you normally sit then I wouldn't go with a plasma. The reflection will be very noticable.

New plasmas do not have burn issues.

Comment

The plasmas I've had put out heat like a damn fireplace, but they are older technology (at least 4-5 years old), so it may not be an issue anymore. They also had some burn-in, even though they advertise that they have technology that prevents that. Again, this may be fixed now. The picture is incredible. Better than the LCDs I've had. I haven't owned an LED TV yet.

Comment

I just picked up a 40" Samsung LED for a lil over $400. It looks a tad better than My dads 47" LCD Vizio. Kinda sad really. But thats probably because my dads is a 120Hz and I think mine is 60Hz with 120 refresh rate. Which I know the difference in Hz is but the refresh rate i don't understand? Lol. When i saw 120 refresh rate I thought it was same as 120Hz. It only shines when playing games.
                            GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

i just upgraded to a plasma 50" from a 27" rca console also........i have had none of the problems that are listed above, i had read about them, but best buy had a "repo" one for sale and i got it......i have windows all around my living room (have shades though), no heat issues that i can tell, and definately none of the burn thru that i had read about also......i am getting another for my office this coming year

Comment

Working...
                              X