Bullet Swaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet Swaging

I'm going to make a thread for myself mostly to catalog some of my findings and some good links. I've been interested in jacket swaging for a long time, and I'm finally getting to the point where I'm ready to start manufacturing projectiles. The science of swaging has really picked up lately and there are a lot more options available for less money.

Many people cast bullets, it makes shooting super cheap. The problem (and the reason I've never fully embraced it) is you're limited on velocities - to about 1,200fps or so. Above that the barrel gets quickly leaded and you can have boom bitches. For me, I mostly shoot magnums and high velocity bullets (10mm, .44 mag, .50, .223, .308, etc) so it doesn't make much sense. You can use gas checks which is a copper disc at the back of the bullet to basically seal off the lead from the combustion and lower the leading and increase the velocity, but it still poops lead into your suppressor.

If you're not familiar with swaging, it's basically the art of forming bullets through pressure. But it's most commonly used when making jacketed projectiles. Cheap is the name of the game here. If you've ever played around with empty brass cases you probably realized that a .40cal case fits just about perfectly into a .45ACP case, and a .45 ACP case fits into a .50 cal case, and a .22LR case fits into a .223 case. Well, that's the idea. You use brass cases to form the jacket, you fill it with lead, and then you swage and resize it to the proper dimensions, and bam, you have a jacketed bullet capable of pretty much any reasonable velocity. You might laugh, until you see what's possible.

Not too shabby right?

Anyways, I'm going to just post up various links and information as I find it and see if I can put together a reasonably priced swaging setup to do various calibers.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Been experimenting in the shop a lot latly. I was able to make my own reamer and set out to make a .475 die. Like my last attempts this one too got big on me so grab a .500 reamer and away I went. I expect I'll have a .475 pic by teh end of the week. This is what I came up with. http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060556.jpg My 40 cal bullet is on left and my latest progress on 22 cal is on right. For the 500s I used 44 cal cast boolits for the cores. WIth a 240 grain
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Cool man. Can I help?
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Interesting
        Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Subscribing.
          Originally posted by Jester
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
          Originally posted by Denny
          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

The issue is the dies are fucking expensive. Like $900 for each caliber. But, after a few thousand rounds you're producing projectiles for free. I can get brass and lead gratis, so my only expense is powder and a primer, so I'd be looking at a $0.02 round or so. Originally I wanted to do .223 bullets, but honestly those are probably the cheapest bullets I can get right now, so that's probably not the best choice. Also you have to factor in resale if you decide to make it pay you back.

Comment

How are you getting lead free? Digging it out of the berm?
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                How are you getting lead free? Digging it out of the berm?
                I could do that, but no I have a few friends that own shops and they give me 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights.

Comment

MISSION STATMENT Valued customer, BTSniper is pleased to offer top quality bullet swage products at afordable prices. I have spent years to design the very best dies that both the begining and advanced swager will be proud to own. They are of the best quality I can offer and incorperate designs to increase production rates as well as simplify the ease of their operation. Each die is made from quality 4140 steel and professionaly heat treated to a hardness of 49RC, than given a

This guy makes the dies that made the .50 bullets above, he's a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    Cool man. Can I help?
                    If I can figure all this out, definitely!

Comment

I sense more "brass" trips to the range in the future.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        I sense more "brass" trips to the range in the future.
                        haha, yeah. You can use copper tubing to make standard bullets if you want, it's just copper is $$$

Comment

Wish I still had all of my grandfather's old swaging stuff, it would make things a little cheaper these days.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

ttt - bring this back up for anyone who is interested.

Comment

Here is a video of the whole process.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
                              X