Newer car subs and older amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer car subs and older amps

We are replacing the 12s in my wifes car and I have an old rockford punch 800a2 amp thats still working great so don't want to change it. The guys I've talked to said I need to get 8 ohm speakers since they use monoblock stuff now.

Can someone help me out in understanding. It looks like we'll be getting 2 JL 12w3 subs but should I get the 8 ohm or can you do 4 ohm and wire it differently? I've been out of car audio for too long evidently.

You can read the manual on rockford's site to see how low it can run. Most modern sub amps have the most output at 2 ohm mono. If your amp will only go down to 4 ohm mono, you would have to buy 2 12W3v3-2 and wire them in series. There is no longer a 12W3v3-8 available.

Looks like it is a 2ch amp that will run 4ohm mono.
    Last edited by EW; 12-14-2012, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I have a setup I will let go cheap if you decide to get a new amp. Diamond audio 1000.1 amp and power acoustic 2400w 12.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
        You can read the manual on rockford's site to see how low it can run. Most modern sub amps have the most output at 2 ohm mono. If your amp will only go down to 4 ohm mono, you would have to buy 2 12W3v3-2 and wire them in series. There is no longer a 12W3v3-8 available.

Looks like it is a 2ch amp that will run 4ohm mono.
        Thanks for the info, so I need the 2 ohm speakers? Also will my sealed box I was already using work?

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
        I have a setup I will let go cheap if you decide to get a new amp. Diamond audio 1000.1 amp and power acoustic 2400w 12.
        I'm hoping we can make this work as we're not really trying to spend money on it....wife had a wreck and the speakers got broke so we are just trying to get it back to what she had, but if I can't get the JLs I need or a decent price I'll let you know

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
          Thanks for the info, so I need the 2 ohm speakers? Also will my sealed box I was already using work?

I'm hoping we can make this work as we're not really trying to spend money on it....wife had a wreck and the speakers got broke so we are just trying to get it back to what she had, but if I can't get the JLs I need or a decent price I'll let you know
          Sounds good LMK, I'll make you a hell of a deal also I'm not too far from you if you want to check it out.

Comment

Is this the wiring to use using it as a 4ohm?

If so, which + and - on the amp do I come off of?

this is what I found with 4 ohm but it wouldn't sound as good right?

Comment

Neither of those is correct for SVC (single voice coil) wiring. With most amps, you will use the left positive as the positive and the right negative for the negative.
              None of the Crutchfield diagrams show the 2 ch amp bridged. You can do this:

JL recommends 1.321 cu ft of airspace per woofer for the 12W3v3-2 when you add the driver displacement. If your sealed enclosure is near this size, and well built, it will be fine.
              Last edited by EW; 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

thanks again for the info. I will see if I can get the measurements of the box and also figure out what we want to do with wiring. So you recommend getting the 2 ohm speakers and wire just like the link you provided? We are going from rockford HE2 subs so the JLs hopefully will be an upgrade as it is

Comment

Working...
                X