PMR-30 Range Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMR-30 Range Report

I picked up a used PMR-30 at a local gun shop in Huntington for a good price. It's been back to the factory and has the new unfluted barrel.
    I tried 5 kinds of ammo: CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr, Winchester Super X 40 gr, Federal Game Shock 50 gr, BVAC 40 gr, and Armscor 40 gr.
    I had to drift the front sight over about 3/16" because it was shooting to the left out of the box with the front sight centered.
    Everything ran fine as far as feeding and cycling, but the CCI and BVAC keyholed.
    The rest seemed about the same as far as accuracy. Groups were decent but not overly impressive, but I guess I'm comparing it to my .22LR target and bullseye guns.
    I didn't try loading 30 in a mag but it seems to get hard to load after 20.
    Overall I thought it was fun to shoot and a decent gun. It's pretty load and puts out a 6" flame.
    For the price I guess I'll shoot the Armscor stuff. Anybody else tried other .22 WMR that runs good or shoots more accurately than others in theirs?
    Last edited by Trick Pony; 12-16-2012, 02:13 AM.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Mine likes the 30 grain CCI the best.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

whats the purpose of a pistol round with 100lb of energy? Spray and pray?

How would someone even know when they are shot?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post

I, for one, would NOT like to volunteer to be shot with a .22 WMR.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

It will kill you for sure, and you have 30 rounds! They deliver similar energy compared to a .380 or .38 special pocket revolver.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I've always wanted one of those. Just not a big fan of the looks.
            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Isn't that kind of a stupid question? Why does anybody buy a .22LR or .22WMR? Did I say I was going to use this gun for carry or defense? Also, the .22 WMR has 300+ lb-ft of muzzle energy.
              My carry gun is a .45.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                Isn't that kind of a stupid question? Why does anybody buy a .22LR or .22WMR? Did I say I was going to use this gun for carry or defense? Also, the .22 WMR has 300+ lb-ft of muzzle energy.
                My carry gun is a .45.
                It does in a 24" barrel, but in a PMR-30 it's about 130ft/lbs.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Aceman85turbo seems to be "that guy" that if it doesn't make sense to him or if it's not something he would buy, then it's useless and stupid...
                  "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    It does in a 24" barrel, but in a PMR-30 it's about 130ft/lbs.
                    True. You can tell by the nice flame it puts out that it's wasting a lot of that burning powder lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                      Aceman85turbo seems to be "that guy" that if it doesn't make sense to him or if it's not something he would buy, then it's useless and stupid...
                      I'm that guy that wants to make sure treyvon is down for the count after one round.

Comment

So you only shoot slugs?
                        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

I don't care what caliber handgun you are carrying, there is no one-shot-stop guarantee! a .22 will kill just as easily as a 500S&W, but it all depends on bullet placement.
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                            I don't care what caliber handgun you are carrying, there is no one-shot-stop guarantee! a .22 will kill just as easily as a 500S&W, but it all depends on bullet placement.
                            I can think of only a very few places a 500 magnum wouldn't kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                              So you only shoot slugs?
                              easier to shoot them when they have to hold their pants up while running from you.

Comment

Working...
                              X