Mustang ChumpCar panhard bar v4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang ChumpCar panhard bar v4.0

We have torn up two different panhard bars in our ChumpCar since changing over to the poor mans 3-link (aka: PM3L). The first one was bought off of e-bay and we believe it was mainly parts from an older Steeda design. It lasted a couple of races, but it eventually broke at ECR with about 40 minutes left in a race. The next on was a homemade design using larger materials and while we were under the car we ditched the stock upper link and built one similar to the old Evolution Motorsports Tri-link. The tri-link ended up working great and we think the car handled as well as it ever had, but the panhard bar failed again after about 15hrs of racing at TWS. Its pretty obvious to see how/why it failed. http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28930

I completely underestimated how much grip to car would get and how much force would be put on that panhard bar especially on one turn at TWS (T7). I'm sure hopping curbs and sliding the car on and off the track surface didn't help either. The distance between the rod mount and the cross brace that runs over to the driver side frame rail acted as a lever and allowed it to flex and eventually break off. Really stupid mistake and I'm glad it didn't fail in the wrong spot on the track.

This week I've been hacking off the old panhard stuff and building a new, hopefully stronger, version that will live longer than the old ones. We plan on doing the Hallett race in March and this part has been bugging me ever since the last one broke. Everything is the same type of material, but the design is slightly different. None of the bars are bent which meant I had to cut out a piece of the floor for the cross brace. A small piece of sheet metal with some rivets will cover up the hole.

I'm debating in my head whether or not to put an additional piece of channel steel on the outside of the tube up to the outside of the frame rail in the last picture. It is about 10-12 inches in distance and that is a lot of leverage so I don't think it will help much, but more is always better right?
    Last edited by jw33; 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM.

what kinda times were you running at ECR?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

2:21 shows to be our best time so 2:25-2:30 is probably about the average. The car ran 2:13 at TWS in June.

Comment

I can't tell well enough from the pics but I'd be willing to come by and give you my thoughts if you aren't too far. I'm in Haslet. You can pm me if you want. I'm out of state for a few days, but am off work until Jan 2.
        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
        86 SVO - Sold
        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Need a better view of the driver side attachment....that is where it's best to fight the movement. What I see may be good enough for a light car on street tires. You mentioned T7 at TWS....that is a nearly 2G turn for some cars with sticky tires.

I would also look for a way to keep the stabilizer bar from the driver side as perpendicular to the frame rails as possible. The angle I see looking down into the trunk well adds an axis of loading which could be bad. It should work in one axis only if possible so your design/welds only have to work with one known force. The minute you start working at angles, other forces fore/aft are working on your mount which requires more thought.

Like I said, you may be ok but you won't know till you pile it in a corner!

Comment

Decided to put one more brace on it that goes up a few inches on the frame rail. Made it out of some left over 1.75 .120 wall DOM from the cage install several years ago. I don't know what else could be done to make it any stronger at this point. I threw a coat of black spray paint on it to at least keep everything from rusting.

Comment

Looks good, hope you found the answer. Several racers in the Vintage racing group I run said to build the frame mount with more beef than ever as they have had LOTS of failures of that mount. I run a 1966 coup 'stang. That being said I welded one up and have yet to run the car with it.

Could you please answer a few questions for me. Do you ever move the angle of the bar to adjust the car? Do you set the car up for lefts or rights? IE if the track have 6 left turn and 4 rights do you adjust for that? If you do move the angle, what changes to in the handleing, up loosens the car and down tightens it, or what ??

Good luck with your racing and drive fast. Thanks !

Comment

No we have not played with the panhard bar setup for any kind of tuning so far. When we ran the PM3L the car did prefer to turn in one direction depending on which upper control arm was connected, but I don't remember which way it was. Nothing in the suspension is really adjustable except for now the pinion angle with our centered upper link. This car make no power so traction during acceleration isn't an issue. We can adjust the pinion angle some along with rear brake bias if axle hope ever gets to be an issue. We're in the process of stepping up the rear braking for more bite during our next race. The things that make the largest difference in this car are the tires, the alignment, and air pressure changes. We run a fairly large 255/40/17 200tw tire and we have slowly lowered the pressures down and it seems to run faster so far. I'm looking to get a pair of old stock struts/shocks so I can change out the oil in them to a little thicker high quality motorcycle fork oil. I want to do a test using what is one the car now for one day vs. the modified dampers on the second day to see if they work any better.

Comment

Wow, we run a 225 tire on the Mont.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                    Isn't that what all last place cars run?

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        Someone doing the repeater?!

Comment

Originally posted by Pooter View Post
                          Someone doing the repeater?!
                          That can happen.

Comment

This will work as long as i don;t drive the car...LOL

Of all the things i could break on the car, i'm 2 for 2 on the panhard bar lol

Comment

Working...
                            X