If you cant buy'em, build'em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you cant buy'em, build'em

I got my 7075 in this weekend to mill myself some lowers. Enough to make 2, actually. I'll post pics as it progresses.
    Attached Files
    IMG_0424

Nice. Do you have a mill?

Comment

So jelly
      03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by phaux View Post
        Nice. Do you have a mill?
        I sure wish I had my own mill. One day for sure. I'm a machinist, we've got 15 vertical mills and a lathe at work that I use as weekend playthings. Weekend after next i'll start making chips.
        IMG_0424

Comment

How much is that going to cost you in material, and how much time is it going to take?
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Too bad it's illegal to make them for other people. I'd be all over it.
            03 cobra

Comment

It's not illegal with the right paperwork.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                How much is that going to cost you in material, and how much time is it going to take?
                Well, the aluminum for the 2 lowers themselves was $75. But then I need some 6061 aluminum to make some jaws for the vise, and a jig to do the 5 side operations (maybe another $25). And of course tooling (a few endmills, drills, 1/4-28 tap, thread mill). edit: Oh, and whatever it cost to anodize them.

It will be time consuming because of the number of operations. I'd say a good 8hrs on the first one. I'm sure i'll make at least a couple mistakes in my programs!
                IMG_0424

Comment

Is there a reason you decided against working from raw forgings?

Comment

I wish I had the skill to machine receivers...
                    03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                      Is there a reason you decided against working from raw forgings?
                      I figure if i'm going to do it, I might as well just make the whole thing from scratch.
                      IMG_0424

Comment

A man who likes a challenge. Excited to see updates on this. Promise you will machine a texas rat snake or pit pull with cropped ears into the mag well side.

edit: Better yet a pit eating a texas rat snake

Comment

I'd make sure you cover all bases when making your own stuff, especially when it's not your machines. You'd hate for the ATF to seize someone's lively hood just to make some receivers on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                            I'd make sure you cover all bases when making your own stuff, especially when it's not your machines. You'd hate for the ATF to seize someone's lively hood just to make some receivers on the weekend.
                            Assuming anything he makes is strictly for his own usage. What would be the difference(in the ATF's eyes) from this and finishing out a "80%" lower?

Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                              Assuming anything he makes is strictly for his own usage. What would be the difference(in the ATF's eyes) from this and finishing out a "80%" lower?

Just curious.
                              ...or AK flats. But I see what he is saying. I'm keeping my nose clean.
                              IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                              X