Barebones reload starter setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barebones reload starter setup?

I'm a little overwhelmed as to all the doodads I need to reload. Can anyone make a buy list for a simple (cheap but will last a long time) single stage setup? .223/300BLK/9mm are what I would like to load. I'm going to start piecing everything together as deals pop up.
    IMG_0424

Originally posted by GAP View Post
    I'm a little overwhelmed as to all the doodads I need to reload. Can anyone make a buy list for a simple (cheap but will last a long time) single stage setup? .223/300BLK/9mm are what I would like to load. I'm going to start piecing everything together as deals pop up.
    I really like the Anniversary Kits offered by Lee and Hornaday. They have a lot of parts already included and you would only need to purchase the dies and hand tools to complete the setup.

Always go Carbide on the dies as they stand up much better than the standard dies. I just got into this myself and there are A LOT of options out there, good luck
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Most of the manufacturers have some kind of FAQ on their website. This guy does a series from the perspective of a newb starting out:

Also look on youtube - just search beginner reloading equipment or something similar.

I went simple and dependable. Lee classic cast press with breech-lock with Lee dies - very pleased with the press; it's built like a rock and less than $100. The breech lock is awesome - adjust your dies once instead of every time you use them. Hornady has a similar system called Lock-N-Load on several of their presses.

I use a Lee Ergo-Prime hand primer, which I like way better than priming on the press. The classic cast press comes with large and small primer tool in the package and it works just fine.

Some kind of a scale - might as well go digital since they're cheap and accurate. Just make sure it reads in grains.

I use a dial caliper to measure overall length, bullet seating, etc to make sure the ammo is up to spec.

Something to charge the cartridges - you can go with a set of Lee powder dippers for around $20 or something with a hopper that allows you to adjust the size of the charge you're throwing.

Like Gtracer said - the anniversary kits are a good value but some come with low-end stuff that you might not want (cheap, low-end scales, etc) Then again, ebay is your friend when it comes time to upgrade.

Comment

I've thought about getting into this recently and have looked at some kits, these look pretty good. I do have a couple questions though, are all the components readily available for reloading or are they hard to get now too? I'm talking like primers, projectiles, brass...etc? I would be doing mostly 9mm and .40, maybe some .223
        Originally posted by Nash B.
        Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Every place I've ordered from says they're having a run on everything right now, but there are enough places that sell it you can still find everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
            I've thought about getting into this recently and have looked at some kits, these look pretty good. I do have a couple questions though, are all the components readily available for reloading or are they hard to get now too? I'm talking like primers, projectiles, brass...etc? I would be doing mostly 9mm and .40, maybe some .223
            I visit the gun shows for the primers, or Bass Pro and Cabelas. The prices per brick are about $34 pretty much anywhere.

The stuff you will have difficulty finding online is brass, projectiles although they are coming in and out of stock on a weekly basis. This appears to only be the case for .223/5.56 though.

But considering some of the components are the same for all small rifle calibers, you may also run into shortages in powder, primers for these.
            Originally posted by Sean88gt
            You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
            Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
            You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

I was going to start one of these threads this morning, glad you started it already. I would like to get set up to do this as well. Not looking for anything fancy, I don't shoot a lot so I think a single stage will be just fine for me. I was looking at the lee kits, what I didn't like was the seemingly cheap scale.
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
                Determining the right loader for you will determine how much time you want to spend in front of your loader when you go to load. If you're only planning on loading a couple hundred rounds at a time, a single stage press is the more affordable way to go. It will take a little longer but you save money on the initial setup. If you're planning on doing 500-1000+ rounds at a time, then a progressive stage press will save you time but your start up cost will be greater.

Buying your primers and powder in bulk will save you more money, especially powder since it has a hazmat fee for shipping.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                Originally posted by Denny
                What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  ...what I didn't like was the seemingly cheap scale.
                  Yep. The Lee scale is just kind of junk. Sell it on ebay and people will line up to buy it. I had a few parts left over from a Lee turret press package I bought a couple of years ago. Turned em on ebay with a quickness. If you want a scale, find a used RCBS 5-0-5 or just get a digital scale that you has a tare feature and measures in grains. I'm way happier with the digital than I'd ever be with a manual balance scale and it was less than $25.

Comment

Originally posted by JP135 View Post
                    Yep. The Lee scale is just kind of junk. Sell it on ebay and people will line up to buy it. I had a few parts left over from a Lee turret press package I bought a couple of years ago. Turned em on ebay with a quickness. If you want a scale, find a used RCBS 5-0-5 or just get a digital scale that you has a tare feature and measures in grains. I'm way happier with the digital than I'd ever be with a manual balance scale and it was less than $25.
                    The more I look, the more I think I might be better off to just order a kit and add a digital scale to it.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The more I look, the more I think I might be better off to just order a kit and add a digital scale to it.
                      This may just me being OCD but I'd keep a manual scale on hand just to double check the consistency of the digital scale.
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

We're on the same page! I tried to piece it together, but i'm better off buying a kit and digi scale.
                        IMG_0424

Comment

I'm thinking the RCBS kit as well. With this scale

And 500 free projectiles. More if you break up the orders and mailing addresses and submit multiple rebates. I think that might work.
                          IMG_0424

Comment

You can get $50 off a $300 purchase of RCBS stuff, but you got to by a Hornady Lock n load kit for the 500 free projectiles.
                            92 LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                            X