Hornady Amax for hunting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady Amax for hunting!

Being a reloader there are a lot more choices in bullet selection than most which can be a little overwhelming to say the least. I typically stick to Nosler Accubonds for a hunting bullet but due receiving a few box's too late to do load development I decided to give my target load a try. After doing some research I found a good bit of people that use a good variety of the Amax for hunting and Hornady load manual say's it's good for medium size game. Being I'm running a 7mm my choice is limited to the 162 which has a great BC of around .6 and good SD of .287 so penetration was expected to be more than enough but bullet construction was the question. Pigs were first choice and as long as no heavy bone like shoulders were hit exit wounds were obtained out to the 300+ yard range which was unexpected. Only shot one deer so far which was at a mere 154yds and the bullet performed great on the shoulder coming in at a slight quartering and the bullet made a hell of an exit on the front side of the opposite shoulder and the deer dropped where he stood. I didn't think to take any pictures of the trauma while gutting the deer and never touched the pigs besides dragging them out of the way. I was very pleased with the results so far this season and just kinda wanted to throw my experience out there to ya'll.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Cool, man!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've used amax's for hunting for years, never had any issues.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I had never really thought about using them. I've used pretty much everything on pigs but was always critical of shot placement and when placed in the right area they work fine, but never used anything except hunting bullets on deer.

Comment

Has anyone hunted with a 140-150gr VLD BERGER projectile?

Comment

I've never used the Berger bullets on game but unless they are the new hybrid bullets they are over critical on OAL and usually have to be seated so long they won't fit in the magazine. That being said everything I have read on them say they work great as long as no heavy bone is hit and to not expect any exit wounds.

Comment

I shot a hog 2 weeks ago w/ 208 AMAX @ 1050 FPS. He dropped and did the dirt dance. Last year I shot a 8 pt buck w/ 140g AMAX out of a 6.5 creedmoor. He jumped, ran 20 yards, and fell flat. I also shot a Coyote w/ the same rifle at 300 yards. I like AMAX for hunting.

Comment

Working...
              X