Reloading 500 Magnum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reloading 500 Magnum

I figured I would make a thread just because of how ridiculous some of these loads are. I've been casting 440gr projectiles for handloads and this caliber is like another dimension. There is no caliber even close to this and after a while you actually tend to lose perspective on energy delivery.

I found myself today loading a 440gr to 1,700fps. Just contemplate that for a second. That's a mind blowing 2,822ft/lbs of energy. From a power factor, that load is more than twice as powerful as a standard 7.62x51 NATO rifle round. But, it really beats the hell out of you. For instance, I fired 2 rounds on a Sunday and my palm was still a little tender on Wednesday. Really cool for exhibition, but a little too powerful without shooting gloves. So I decided to load some "low power rounds" I can load 30gr of lil'gun and just get a paltry 1,400fps. But that's about as low of a velocity as I can go with this powder. S&W says the 500 can take a 100% overcharge indefinitely, That is fucking ridiculous. It would tear your thumb off and blow straight through your chest - 440gr @ 3,400fps out of a pistol.

So, once I stepped back I realized that if I only fire a 440gr @ 600fps I'm doing the same energy delivery as my hot 44 magnum loads. The recoil is like a squib round out of the 500. Now, a of people view the 500 as a clown shoe gun. That's kind of how I looked at it also, but the cartridge itself is just incredible, as is the gun. You can replicate a hot 44 magnum load with zero recoil and a bigger entry/exit would, you can replicate a 12 gauge slug if you like, you can even replicate a 10 gauge slug. There really is nothing out there that can do this, and for that it's probably the most versatile pistol I've ever loaded for. You can work up loads right to the maximum you can endure, as hot as you want to go it will go, and then you can dial it back down. And yes it's huge and gigantic, blah blah blah, but the real gem is in the details.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

What powder are you using for the 600fps load?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

It's a stupid pointless gun to shoot when you are with your buddies and want to compensate for your 3" penis...

I have some 700 grains I haven't shot yet.

The 500grains you buy from the store bored me after the first 5. I was shooting one handed with ease.
      "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Glad to see you are enjoying it.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
          What powder are you using for the 600fps load?
          trail boss
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

somehow i picture CJ putting a case as big as your arm on his desk and dumping handfuls of powder into this thing

then having to go out and strip copper to afford the next piece of brass!

Comment

I used to load my chicken target casull rounds with unique, I forget the charge, but 325gr at about 500fps, and those were awesome for the 50yd targets.

And from the way the targets flipped in the air on a low hit, I would guess they would be about as effective as a run of the mill 45.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
                I used to load my chicken target casull rounds with unique, I forget the charge, but 325gr at about 500fps, and those were awesome for the 50yd targets.

And from the way the targets flipped in the air on a low hit, I would guess they would be about as effective as a run of the mill 45.
                I have pounds of unique that I hardly ever use. It doesn't meter well for anything. The only time I use unique is for my 12 gauge slug rounds.

Comment

it is pretty forgiving on a tightly crimped straightwall case, and while velocity may vary I don't think that matters so much for a slow target round.

Of course by target I was aiming for 2MOA accuracy, with 4MOA generally acceptable. Inside circle of a paper plate at 200 is plenty good if you can do it every time (which I can't )

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    So, once I stepped back I realized that if I only fire a 440gr @ 600fps I'm doing the same energy delivery as my hot 44 magnum loads.
                    I hope there's a typo in there somewhere...
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      I hope there's a typo in there somewhere...
                      Yeah I'm not sure what I did there, 950fps is the same energy deliver as my hot .44 mag rounds. (200gr @ 1400fps)

Comment

are you looking to get rid of that unique?

Comment

are you looking to get rid of that unique?
                          I casted 100lbs of buckshot last weekend, so not anytime soon

Comment

haha oh man how long did that take? Or do you have a casting machine?

Comment

haha oh man how long did that take? Or do you have a casting machine?
                              Yeah, me

Me and my brother casted buckshot for about 5 hours, it took a while. Last night I separated out 70lbs of lead so I'll do 70lbs of 230gr tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X