Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The epitome of liberal short sited thinking ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The epitome of liberal short sited thinking ...

This to me is a perfect example of how liberals think with their feelings and it backfires. In short, they get all the horse slaughter factories shut down, and now the horses they were trying to "help" have it worse. Good job you idiots. Obviously some actions have unintended consequences, but liberals especially seem to spend no time rationally thinking about what they might be.

Originally posted by WSJ
    Less than four years after the last equine slaughterhouses in the U.S. closed down, an unlikely coalition of ranchers, horse owners and animal-welfare groups is trying to bring them back.

The group, gathering in Las Vegas this week for a conference called Summit of the Horse, aims to map out a strategy for reviving an industry that slaughtered as many as 100,000 horses a year in the U.S. before it was effectively shut down by congressional action in 2007.

Advocates say the slaughterhouses could bring an economic boost to rural areas and give owners who no longer have the means or inclination to care for the horses an economical and humane way to dispose of them.

"We believe that humane processing is absolutely a moral and an ethical choice," said Sue Wallis, a Wyoming state lawmaker who organized the event.

Ms. Wallis is working on bringing a slaughterhouse to her state, but said her coalition first must overcome what she called "the 'ick' factor."

Indeed, animal-welfare activists opposed to the resumption of slaughter say the public will rally to stop it, since many Americans grew up with such books as "Black Beauty" and TV shows like "Mister Ed" and consider horses companions, not meals.

"Public opinion is with us," said Patti Klein Manke, executive director of the Hooved Animal Humane Society.

View Full Image
    HORSE2
    Associated Press

Kathy Hamm, who operates End of the Trail Horse Rescue & Sanctuary near Olathe, Colo., takes in horses from people who no longer want them but are hesitant to send them to slaughter in other countries.
    HORSE2
    HORSE2

Pressure from animal-rights groups and from undercover videos that circulated on the Internet and showed apparent cruelties in the horse-butchering process prompted Congress to shut off all funds for inspecting equine slaughterhouses in 2007. That dealt the industry a fatal blow, as federal inspections were required by law before the meat could be exported for human consumption. Most horse meat from the U.S. was sent to the lucrative markets of Europe and Asia, where the flesh is stewed, grilled or sliced thin and eaten raw.

Though horse lovers cheered when the last slaughterhouses were shuttered, some now say they may not have thought through the consequences.

The slaughterhouses disposed of the thousands of horses abandoned or relinquished each year by owners who find them too old or temperamental to be useful or who simply can no longer afford to care for them. Now, many of those horses are sold for $10 or $20 at low-end auctions and packed on crowded transports to be slaughtered in Mexico. Animal-welfare experts say the horses often suffer greatly on the journey.

In 2006, just 11,080 U.S. horses were shipped to Mexico for slaughter. In 2008, after the American industry shut down, that number jumped to 57,017, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    [HORSE]

Animal-rights supporters have been lobbying Congress for a ban on exporting horses for slaughter. They've had no success—but even if a ban did pass, some activists say, it would do little to ease suffering, as owners desperate to shed responsibility for their animals might simply abandon them to starve. Hiring a veterinarian to euthanize and dispose of a horse can cost hundreds of dollars. Horse-rescue groups take in some unwanted animals, but they don't have the resources to care for them all.

"Every day, I'm turning horses away. I feel like I'm playing God, because I have to pick and choose," said Whitney Wright, director of Hope for Horses, a rescue group in Asheville, N.C. She worked to shut down slaughterhouses but now would like to see a few reopen under strict guidelines for humane handling.

The American Humane Association, which monitors the treatment of beef cattle, pigs and poultry nationwide, is considering helping the proponents of horse slaughterhouses develop and implement such guidelines. The group may also create a media campaign to explain the issue to a wary public, said Tim Amlaw, a vice president.

A renewal of equine slaughter still draws sharp opposition from some veterinarians, horse owners and animal-rights groups. They suggest instead providing free hay to economically strapped owners; opening low-cost clinics to geld horses to reduce breeding; even requiring anyone buying a horse to pay an up-front fee to cover euthanasia by a veterinarian when needed.

In the past two years, however, seven states, including Arkansas, Missouri and South Dakota, have adopted resolutions urging Congress to support horse processing, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Montana restricted court challenges to future equine processing plants. And Wyoming passed a law allowing any state-licensed meat-processing plant to sell its products, including horse flesh, to state institutions, such as prisons. No federal inspections are required if the meat does not cross state lines.

While U.S. slaughterhouses in the past processed primarily domesticated horses, the conference in Las Vegas will also discuss the thousands of mustangs the federal government removes from Western rangeland each year to keep herds in check.

The government has had difficulty finding adoptive homes for the wild horses. Last year, taxpayers spent $37 million to hold nearly 40,000 animals in corrals and pastures indefinitely, the Bureau of Land Management said. But the agency's director, Bob Abbey, told the summit that slaughter was not an acceptable option.
    DamonH

What do you expect from idiots? I don't expect anything more from retards who live in San Francisco and have never even touched a horse, much less managed one.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      What do you expect from idiots? I don't expect anything more from retards who live in San Francisco and have never even touched a horse, much less managed one.
      No doubt. Everyone of those dumb bastards who wanted the ban should be required to adopt a horse.
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I hate horses. The Libs should be forced to own and care for unwanted horses. Their tune will change.

Comment

Horses are a waste of money.
          Last edited by mustangguy289; 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM. Reason: waste>waist
          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
            Horses are a waist of money.
            how much money can fit in a waist? i guess it depends on the size of the waist.

Comment

Mr. Hands says horses make great lovers.

Comment

LMAO @ "public opinion is with us." People are already dumping horses in the country like they were unwanted dogs. It's fucking sad.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                  LMAO @ "public opinion is with us." People are already dumping horses in the country like they were unwanted dogs. It's fucking sad.
                  Had nearly a dozen dumped on my property when I lived out there. Some cocksucker cut my fence, unloaded and fixed my fence after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    Had nearly a dozen dumped on my property when I lived out there. Some cocksucker cut my fence, unloaded and fixed my fence after the fact.
                    You could've had one hell of a BBQ.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                      You could've had one hell of a BBQ.
                      I had to threaten to turn them loose on a state highway before the sack of shit county would do a fucking thing.

Comment

Anyone eaten horse? Just curious.

The leather is nice, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          Anyone eaten horse? Just curious.

The leather is nice, though.
                          Yes, there has been. Videos of her were all over dfwstangs.

Comment

Yes, there has been. Videos of her were all over dfwstangs.
                            Ratz...missed those.

Comment

ROFL! That's good stuff right there. The old west, in complete reverse. Those old bastards back then would have shit a brick.

Comment

Working...
                              X