Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you recommended for an IT certification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you recommended for an IT certification?

Got laid off at my job, and was thinking about going back to school. I know demand for certain IT jobs changes all the time. What would be a good choice, wireless networking? Should I go straight for a cisco certification?

Any info on this subject would be helpful.

What do you know?

Wireless networking IMO is generally a niche. It's a great field and can be quite advanced but it involves a lot of ladder climbing and walking.

There are a couple of things that are hot and will continue to be hot.

Cisco UC: This is what I specialize in and I will throw in a few other technologies. UCM, Unity (CUE, connections, etc), DMS, Telepresence, CUPS, CUMA, CER, Tandberg, UCCX, UCCE...etc

Cisco UCS/Datacenter Technology: This is the latest and greatest. VMWare, EMC and Cisco UCS stuff. Great money to be had here.

I can talk Cisco all day long. There are other fields in IT that can be good, but certifications open doors and experience gets you more money. All the above that I mention starts with the CCNA. From there you can acquire CQS certs and the Professional level certs. CCIE level certs, well I have a fair amount of certs under my belt and am just getting started on that one. I'd focus on the NA and then worry about professional certs. (If you want the Cisco route)
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Get your foot in the door somewhere and figure out what area you are most interested.

One of the biggest things I have learned in doing IT related things for 13 years is ask questions. If you hear a phrase someone is speaking about you are not familiar, just ask.
      WRX

Comment

I have heard there is a shortage of database people...Oracle, sql and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
          Get your foot in the door somewhere and figure out what area you are most interested.

One of the biggest things I have learned in doing IT related things for 13 years is ask questions. If you hear a phrase someone is speaking about you are not familiar, just ask.

I was hoping to find something like that, but careerbuilder has nada.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          I have heard there is a shortage of database people...Oracle, sql and what not.
          I was thinking about doing that, but idk exactly what a SQL cert. person does???

Comment

They build, optimize and maintain sql databases.

Have you checked this one out?
            I work in the IT department for Club Corporation of America (ClubCorp for short) and we are looking for someone to fill an open spot we have in our Help Desk department. ClubCorp is the world's largest private club corporation and the world leader in private clubs. We own, operate, and manage over 400 private clubs through out

Sounds like you need to start with a Help Desk position and figure it out from there. As it seems like you're actually not focused in any particular track as of yet.

Comment

*We're looking for someone with at least a year of level I/II tech support/help desk experience.
              I am already not qualified for that position.

I have basic knowledge of website building (W.O.W. cert. back in 04), but I know website building, or any IT field is constantly changing.

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                I was hoping to find something like that, but careerbuilder has nada.

I was thinking about doing that, but idk exactly what a SQL cert. person does???
                Don't give up. Check out temp positions/jobs in the field as well. Job fairs.

Database typically consists of two categories. = Operational and Development.

You will either find a job building things, or keeping them running. Or a mix in between in some cases.

SQL is windows based, so if you know windows, you are already on your way. Oracle runs on linux/bsd type systems and they are a whole nother animal themselves.
                WRX

Comment

What would be a good place to go to get certifications?

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                    What would be a good place to go to get certifications?
                    You need focus man, figure out what it is you want to do.

You go about getting different types of certs in different ways. It's like asking, "Where do I go to get a degree."

Comment

Well it's old, but I thought it would be good to update it. I just passed my ICND2 exam, and now have a CCNA. The Cisco classes at TCC (northeast) are great. Tarrant county spent some good money on upgrading there labs, and the teachers are great. I cannot see how some people can do 5 day bootcamps and learn as much as I did.

I am so excited!

Comment

that's awesome man!! what campus are you taking classes at? I'm going to the SE campus for a couple other core classes but I'm hoping to find some other "networking" type classes and need to see what they offer.

It's "advertised" as a 5 day boot camp but I don't see show that's even possible. I had taken the CCNA 1-3 classes at DCCCD prior to my boot camp and I still didn't whiz the exam. IMO, with Todd Lammle's class, he gives you about a months worth of pre-studying to do. You definitely learn more taking classes...

Comment

1st, congrats. Out of 20 people who say "I'm getting my CCNA" (Much less the other certs) maybe 1 does.

IMHO, Todd Lammle's anything Cisco related is a great bang for the buck. Books, classes...etc. I came back from overseas, dumped money on the CCNP boot camp to help make sure I got a job. Admittedly, you'd be a lot worst off without experience - but they are good at working extra with people who need it.

Standard training classes I still recommend Global Knowledge though.

Comment

Dave and busters is looking for a support person.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              1st, congrats. Out of 20 people who say "I'm getting my CCNA" (Much less the other certs) maybe 1 does.

IMHO, Todd Lammle's anything Cisco related is a great bang for the buck. Books, classes...etc. I came back from overseas, dumped money on the CCNP boot camp to help make sure I got a job. Admittedly, you'd be a lot worst off without experience - but they are good at working extra with people who need it.

Standard training classes I still recommend Global Knowledge though.
                              my job/manager just hit me with that too. sounds like they are going to cover costs right now though. i'll find out more on the 28th, but looks like ccna and uccx certs are in my future.

Comment

Working...
                              X