Diets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diets

Why do most of the diets I see, not include more fruit? Am I just looking in the wrong places? I see that a lot of people are big on raw veggies and such as some of their 'six smaller meals', but very few include fruit.

I'm trying to get in the habit of eating six small meals. My issue is that I'm in the car, most of the day. Up to 16 hours a day sometimes. So I don't have the luxury of a microwave, etc. I can keep stuff cool in a cooler, but warming things up is the problem.

So my logical option is fruit. I eat a lot of fruit as it is anyways. Oranges, apples, grapefruit, grapes,pears, etc. Is it due to there not being enough protein? Would a protein shake help supplement what I'm not getting since I am not eating six meals of chicken and brown rice, etc?
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

I don't diet, but I'm guessing it's the high sugar content.

Comment

Originally posted by MandyZ View Post
      I don't diet, but I'm guessing it's the high sugar content.
      It's natural sugar though, not processed sugar. Totally different than say, cookies.

Comment

Regardless of the type of sugar, fruit is very high in carbs. Most diets out there limit the amount of carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          Regardless of the type of sugar, fruit is very high in carbs. Most diets out there limit the amount of carbs.
          Interesting, I didn't know that. Being that I'm not necessarily looking to go low carb, would fruit generally be ok for the say 3 of the smaller meals?

I used to only eat lunch and dinner, sometimes only dinner. I've since started eating grapefruit for breakfast, to try and squeeze the third 'meal' in. Then I started working in an apple around 9. I read somewhere that eating an apple is an equivalent to a cup of coffe, in terms of energy. I don't drink coffee, btw.

Guess I need to widen my parameters on searches.

Comment

By the way - if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I'm open to ideas on meals I wouldn't have to warm up. Chicken and tuna salad aren't necessarily healthy, I wouldn't think. I do plan on one or more of the six meals being a salad, as those don't have to be heated.

I also keep a bag of peanuts, a bag of pistachios, and a bag of sunflower seeds in the car. That's more to help me keep from smoking so much while driving, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              By the way - if anyone thinks this is a bad idea, I'm open to ideas on meals I wouldn't have to warm up. Chicken and tuna salad aren't necessarily healthy, I wouldn't think. I do plan on one or more of the six meals being a salad, as those don't have to be heated.

I also keep a bag of peanuts, a bag of pistachios, and a bag of sunflower seeds in the car. That's more to help me keep from smoking so much while driving, though.
              Swap to almonds, chicken/tuna salad is fine just go easy on the mayo and watch low fat mayo as they replace the the fat with a bunch of sugar. The olive oil mayo is a good medium. A salad with any kind of chicken breast and an oil based dressing is perfect. You can top it with most anything. Check the labels , but a good balsamic dressing works great.
              Slow moving projects
              1964 C10 350/700r4
              1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Superwho View Post
                Swap to almonds, chicken/tuna salad is fine just go easy on the mayo and watch low fat mayo as they replace the the fat with a bunch of sugar. The olive oil mayo is a good medium. A salad with any kind of chicken breast and an oil based dressing is perfect. You can top it with most anything. Check the labels , but a good balsamic dressing works great.
                Pecans any better? I don't like almonds. Weird, I know....

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  Pecans any better? I don't like almonds. Weird, I know....
                  With all that badass shit you cook...you never read labels man???

Just eat chicken, brown rice and water...keep it simple.

I prepare all of my meals a week in advance and could eat them cold, if needed.

As for the fruit, I love it...but I treat it like I do nuts, eat them in moderation.
                  Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                    With all that badass shit you cook...you never read labels man???

Not on nuts. lol.

I can't do cold chicken, that's my issue. It's a texture thing.

Comment

beef jerky?

Comment

Fruits are high in carbs as previously mentioned. Carbs spike your insulin levels which directly effects your metabolism slowing it down.

Comment

Neither fruits or nuts are the best choice for the reasons mentioned above.

Instead of tuna salad I like tuna, low fat cottage cheese and a natural salsa with 100% whole grain chips or toast.

Go for high protein, high fiber and they will cause your body to tap into existing fat to break them down.

They go a little crazy with the protein intake here (1.5 g per pound of body weight) but other than that the content is good.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Fruit, while being good sugar, will still spike your insulin. This has a direct affect on retaining fat content. it's fine if that is your primary source of sugar.

Milk, bread, potatoes, etc. are all forms of sugar that will do the same thing, while 'technically' being good for you.
                            www.crossfit.com

Comment

Gomad

Comment

Working...
                              X