Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unions not happy

Imagine the following scene:

A handful of union bosses crowd around an old card table, punching numbers into their calculators. They’ve been up all night. Someone puts on another pot of coffee and a few of the older bosses are starting to fall asleep. Those who are still alert and active scratch their heads and re-enter their calculations.

“Oh, my gosh!” one of them shouts, concluding the all-night exercise. “‘Obamacare’ is going to cost us!”

Yes, according to a recent report from the Wall Street Journal, union leaders (i.e. the same people who campaigned tirelessly in favor of universal healthcare) are trying to figure out a way to avoid paying for the costs associated with “Obamacare.”

From the WSJ:

Labor unions enthusiastically backed the Obama administration’s health-care overhaul when it was up for debate. Now that the law is rolling out, some are turning sour.

Union leaders say many of the law’s requirements will drive up the costs for their health-care plans and make unionized workers less competitive. Among other things, the law eliminates the caps on medical benefits and prescription drugs used as cost-containment measures in many health-care plans. It also allows children to stay on their parents’ plans until they turn 26.

To offset that, the nation’s largest labor groups want their lower-paid members to be able to get federal insurance subsidies while remaining on their plans. In the law, these subsidies were designed only for low-income workers without employer coverage as a way to help them buy private insurance.

In early talks, the Obama administration dismissed the idea of applying the subsidies to people in union-sponsored plans, according to officials from the trade group, the National Coordinating Committee for Multiemployer Plans, that represents these insurance plans.

As financial reality sets in, and rather than figure out a way to pay for the bill they helped pass, unions are trying to see if Washington will bail them out.

“Top officers at the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, the AFL-CIO and other large labor groups plan to keep pressing the Obama administration to expand the federal subsidies,” the WSJ notes, “warning that unionized employers may otherwise drop coverage.”

“A handful of unions say they already have examined whether it makes sense to shift workers off their current plans and onto private coverage subsidized by the government. But dropping insurance altogether would undermine a central point of joining a union, labor leaders say,” the report adds.

No, really, union heads are acting like no one warned them that costs would go up.

“We are going back to the administration to say that this is not acceptable,” said Ken Hall, general secretary-treasurer for the Teamsters.

“I heard him say, ‘If you like your health plan, you can keep it,’” said John Wilhelm, chairman of Unite Here Health, the insurance plan for 260,000 union workers. “If I’m wrong, and the president does not intend to keep his word, I would have severe second thoughts about the law.”

Why? Why? Why didn’t anyone tell these leaders about the costs associated with “Obamacare”?

“It seems someone finally noticed that mandating benefits and imposing regulations has a tendency to … increase costs,” Doug Bandow writes for the American Spectator. “Increases which workers are stuck paying. Who would have imagined such a result? It’s not like anyone warned them, right?”

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

thats not how that goes down.. you gotta take the good with the bad.. we keep a dem. in office and the union stays strong, if a repub. gets in there we all go home. if you dont work why are you so concerned with the job market/workforce? at some point you will realize that you have no outcome on ANYTHING in this world. you are one man among 350,000,000 people.

fuck you.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

You mean amongst 309 million. Where are you getting 350? Yep, take the bad with the good Nay. Enjoy the increases in your health care prices and don't ask taxpayers to provide subsidies. Suck it. Suck it all.

I worry about the work force and job market because I'm an American and what effects my fellow citizens effects me. I have an outcome on a LOT of things in this world. You see, I didn't spend time picking up soap in the shower in prison. I was out serving the Republic. I effected more before I was 25 than you will in your entire life.

Comment

So angry rod.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Yeah, next he's going to say he's just trolling. I love when I get on Nancy's nerves. Fills me with sunshine and butterflies.

Comment

No one in my union is a "Lower Paid Member." So I guess this doesn't apply to me or my union. If you're only making $8 to $10 an hour you got bigger problems than a union. I'd look for a career in a different line of work. Of course I also believe that only skilled, specialized, and licensed professions should be able to form unions in the first place. We don't need a lunch lady union, or a semstress union. All those do is cheapen the cause of the legitimate unions.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              You mean amongst 309 million. Where are you getting 350? Yep, take the bad with the good Nay. Enjoy the increases in your health care prices and don't ask taxpayers to provide subsidies. Suck it. Suck it all.

I worry about the work force and job market because I'm an American and what effects my fellow citizens effects me. I have an outcome on a LOT of things in this world. You see, I didn't spend time picking up soap in the shower in prison. I was out serving the Republic. I effected more before I was 25 than you will in your entire life.
              no you spent 4 days driving a truck in the desert, jumped out and got a cap popped in your ass. aka,wig split!

how old are you now? im not much older than 25, and i can garuntee some day you will be voting to keep me out of a seat based on these sentiments alone. Im a nice guy but god be damned if i cant stand the fuck out of you.

dont worry, i just a broke down/ high rollin pipefitter with nothin else to lose, i says what i says and thats all i can say, if you need me to fab you a new cane just give me some E-C measusurements and i'll bend you a nice 304L 3rd leg big dog!
              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                No one in my union is a "Lower Paid Member." So I guess this doesn't apply to me or my union. If you're only making $8 to $10 an hour you got bigger problems than a union. I'd look for a career in a different line of work. Of course I also believe that only skilled, specialized, and licensed professions should be able to form unions in the first place. We don't need a lunch lady union, or a semstress union. All those do is cheapen the cause of the legitimate unions.
                Where I come from, skilled specialized professionals don't need unions.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                  no you spent 4 days driving a truck in the desert, jumped out and got a cap popped in your ass. aka,wig split!

how old are you now? im not much older than 25, and i can garuntee some day you will be voting to keep me out of a seat based on these sentiments alone. Im a nice guy but god be damned if i cant stand the fuck out of you.

dont worry, i just a broke down/ high rollin pipefitter with nothin else to lose, i says what i says and thats all i can say, if you need me to fab you a new cane just give me some E-C measusurements and i'll bend you a nice 304L 3rd leg big dog!
                  Poor Nanet...you didn't read the Time magazine article about me did you? Or watch the Nightline Special. It's okay. I don't think prisons had cable back then.

I'm 32 now. Had a period of pretty much not doing anything but living in a field after I got out because of the VA but fortunately, that's settled. Keep you out of a seat? Are you going to try to steal a car and want some who is soft on crime? Or are you talking about me voting to remove the death penalty because you're going to fuck up and let your anger take over and smack down a taxpayer for 'da man keeping you down?

Don't need a new cane, I like the oak one I have as it doesnt' set off the metal detectors in airports or the White House. And, knowing just how much I piss you off, do you think I'd take a hollow chunk of metal from you trusting that you didn't fill it full of illegal shit to call the cops about when I left?

As far as me spending 4 days driving a truck? Wasn't a truck driver son. Was a SAW gunner, running a turret. You know, the guy who provides security and kills bad guys while on the move? yeah. That'd be me.

Comment

thats not how that goes down.. you gotta take the good with the bad.. we keep a dem. in office and the union stays strong, if a repub. gets in there we all go home. if you dont work why are you so concerned with the job market/workforce? at some point you will realize that you have no outcome on ANYTHING in this world. you are one man among 350,000,000 people.

fuck you.
                    Unions are shrinking every day. You lost 400,000 members last year alone. That tells me that your messiah is not really protecting you guys as well as you were hoping.

Comment

Yep. Unions are freaking because they're losing people and the new people actually want to keep their checks instead of depending on fat cat union bosses who take their money before the people get paid.

Comment

Listen you little plumber boy bitch, with your 5 year apprenticeship, once again you let your dirty cocksucker override your pansy ass. Frost has sacrificed more for you than you will ever understand. If you managed to keep your ass out of jail you would understand this. Not only has he paid with years of his life he has paid with his blood sweat and tears. You want to make fun of him for getting shot, tell you what princess why don't you join up, serve something greater than yourself and then see if you feel the same way. I have reached my breaking point with you. This is not the first time you have pulled this bullshit but it is time for it to end.

Comment

I love brotherhood. Naomi, you don't understand it but I have people on here who would take a bullet for me who have never met me. And I would do the same without thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            I love brotherhood. Naomi, you don't understand it but I have people on here who would take a bullet for me who have never met me. And I would do the same without thought.
                            maybe a flesh wound to the leg.

Comment

'Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Working...
                              X