Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Piston ARs...

..everyone should convert.

I took my Adams Arms gas piston converted S&W MP15 to the range today and it ran smooth as silk and clean and cool.

The kit was a sinch to install and a blast to shoot.

First order of business today was to clean it since it was still dirty after the last 5-6 outings (my bad!). I applied a very thin film of CLP to the bolt carrier and bolt just to let it slide a little smoother in the upper. I took my laser temp gun to take down some readings. I measured the most rear of the gas block and the front most of the bolt carrier each time.

Before the first round went off the gas block as 63* and the bolt was 62*. After the first magazine of 10 rounds the gas block weighed in at 67* and 91*. As the gas block ramped up to 213* the bolt never got over 87*.

Here is the bolt after 200 rounds the last 60 of which were at a pretty fast rate of fire.

I even ran the suppressor without any cycling issues. It ran just fine. The suppressor got upto 200* after 10 rounds but again the bolt stayed cool at 84*.

The nice part was pulling the bolt and taking a white shirt rag and wiping it off and seeing very little carbon. In fact I think it was only dirty because of the CLP coat I applied.

The gas block never got too hot to handle the front of the handguard. And the test of the polymer flip up front sight went well.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

I really had no desire to build another AR15 until I saw all your stuff....

...you bastard! Haha.

My next AR will most definitely be a gas piston gun. Look like that is the way to go.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
      I really had no desire to build another AR15 until I saw all your stuff....

...you bastard! Haha.

My next AR will most definitely be a gas piston gun. Look like that is the way to go.
      Maybe an SBR with one of those bumpfire stocks?

There is a reason they call it the Black Rifle Desease.

Comment

I got a 416 upper on a trade on a bunch of stuff. I love the way it performed. I traded it off for other stuff, may get another down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
          Maybe an SBR with one of those bumpfire stocks?

There is a reason they call it the Black Rifle Desease.
          Kinda what i was thinking, except going the silenced 9mm route. Id like to get the Gemtech multimount 9mm with a SBR 9mm upper and the slide fire stock
          "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
          http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
          Factory Five MK4 Cobra
          Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
          http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
          www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
            Kinda what i was thinking, except going the silenced 9mm route. Id like to get the Gemtech multimount 9mm with a SBR 9mm upper and the slide fire stock
            Oooooh teh next level has been mapped out.

Comment

Is the kit just bolt on or is it a little more involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
                Is the kit just bolt on or is it a little more involved?
                The kit is a direct bolt in. Go to youtube and you can see several install videos. If you can remove a front sight base or gas block and install the same you got it licked.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  I got a 416 upper on a trade on a bunch of stuff. I love the way it performed. I traded it off for other stuff, may get another down the line.
                  Don't you have a full auto A1? Did you try it out on that lower?
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    Don't you have a full auto A1? Did you try it out on that lower?
                    Just got one, waiting on the transfer. The only gun I tried it on was a standard Colt M6700 lower.

Comment

Very nice setup. What did the conversion cost you?

Comment

Originally posted by bitter jose View Post
                        Very nice setup. What did the conversion cost you?
                        I paid $297 for the conversion that comes with standard carbine length two piece plastic handguards. With that kit and a working gun you can go to the range. I chose to get a new bolt (not included with the new bolt carrier) same went for the firing pin, cam and retainer. Those you can always reuse from your gun you already have.

I also opted for a new set of handguards also which increased my costs but I have plenty of ARs to build and can always use the parts elsewhere.

I am taking it to Qual Creek tomorow if you want to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          I paid $297 for the conversion that comes with standard carbine length two piece plastic handguards. With that kit and a working gun you can go to the range. I chose to get a new bolt (not included with the new bolt carrier) same went for the firing pin, cam and retainer. Those you can always reuse from your gun you already have.

I also opted for a new set of handguards also which increased my costs but I have plenty of ARs to build and can always use the parts elsewhere.

I am taking it to Qual Creek tomorow if you want to check it out.
                          bleh, quail creek sucks. I hope you don't plan on taking a suppressor or any SBR's.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I drank the piston kool-aid and I love it. My LWRC PSD is by far my favorite weapon.
                            2007 Chevy TBSS

Comment

Working...
                            X