Does it cost $26K to educate a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it cost $26K to educate a kid?

Within a few days, GOP legislative leaders are expected to file an all-cuts budget bill, to begin the debate.

It is expected to cut state spending on public schools by at least $1 billion. To some eyes, that would be a net cut of at least $3 billion because 75,000 more children per year flock to the schools. Under the traditional school funding approach, enrollment growth requires the state to put in $2 billion more each session.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...2.1479fb5.html

Is my math wrong, or did the story just say that an increase of 75,000 kids cost $2Billion?
    class joke
    {
    private:
    char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
    double Peas, Carrots;
    string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
    };

When you account for all the "free" shit they (parents) don't have to pay for then, yeah, it adds up. When you add federal $ it adds up to even more.
    However, the powers that be (legislature) can't figure out how much it costs or should cost per child according to my professional association! Shocking that govt officials can't get their shit straight, huh?
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds about right for the cost for the special education for an anchor baby, not so much for the average American though.

Stevo
      Originally posted by SSMAN
      ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

When you pay teacher's legacy costs? yes
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          When you pay teacher's legacy costs? yes
          Just so you know, I pay an assload on that too & won't be eligible for the social security I paid in for either. Yes, I worked long enough to build enough ss credits. Of course, it's not like I think ss will be around long enough to matter, but still.
          sigpic

Comment

Remember when you drive around Dallas and Ft. Worth and see all the office buildings that on average the owner of an office building is going to pay a couple hundred grand a year in school taxes.

And they still can't educate the kids. Dallas ISD's total budget is around $1.3 billion a year and they still can't get the job done.

We should put these government idiots in charge of health care, that would be a great idea.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              Remember when you drive around Dallas and Ft. Worth and see all the office buildings that on average the owner of an office building is going to pay a couple hundred grand a year in school taxes.

And they still can't educate the kids. Dallas ISD's total budget is around $1.3 billion a year and they still can't get the job done.

We should put these government idiots in charge of health care, that would be a great idea.
              Not that I disagree with anything you are saying, but, Dallas ISD is over 200 campuses to help put the number in to perspective. That's a shitload of staff. And per Wiki, it's $1.6 billion.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Not that I disagree with anything you are saying, but, Dallas ISD is over 200 campuses to help put the number in to perspective. That's a shitload of staff. And per Wiki, it's $1.6 billion.
                Which works out to a little over $10 grand a year per student, I believe. I can't speak to the logistics of it, and haven't put a pencil to paper to analyze it, but that certainly seems like it should be adequate. Then again, what do we spend per annum on a prison inmate?
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

The problem isn't money, it's a society that places education toward the end of their priority list.
                  - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                  1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Cost of school, all school employees, books, schools utility bills, extra-curricular(sp?) activities, security (I hate saying that)...I can see where the money adds up. Hell, if you average 30 students per teacher, and pay each teacher 40K a year, some less, most make more...that's $100,000,000 right there. $2 billion might seem a bit much, but if that money is actually used for education, and somebody bitches about it, fuck them. Money towards youth education is worth it in my opinion. Look at Badass2000GT or some other members. If more money went to their education, they might actually make a productive post every now and then.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      Which works out to a little over $10 grand a year per student, I believe. I can't speak to the logistics of it, and haven't put a pencil to paper to analyze it, but that certainly seems like it should be adequate. Then again, what do we spend per annum on a prison inmate?
                      Based on the economies of scale that having that many "customers" should provide, you would think it was more than adequate. Yet these idiots can barely keep the fucking lights on.

I knew one lady who was a principal with Dallas ISD and the corruption and laziness was so bad that she just quit.
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

20 years ago, I did a lot of business with DISD. The level of corruption and laziness is unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          20 years ago, I did a lot of business with DISD. The level of corruption and laziness is unbelievable.
                          Yup, in my business we won't even respond to RFPs. It is believed that it would be pointless as all decisions are already made, which may or may not be in the best interest of the taxpayer. (...ya know)
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

kimmie , dont let anybody tell you that you wont draw ss . but you will get this when you get close to retirement and attend the meetings. my bride will retire after next year , 30 years . she is then going back to work to get her ss #'s right. if you have the # of qrt's you can draw it.

hell yall should get combat pay........

Comment

I've got to find that John Stossel video on education. It cost a fraction of that amount to educate kids in some European countries but they do much better.

Oh, but those schools have to compete for their education funds because they have vouchers..

Comment

Working...
                              X