Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a little sheet metal work and new paint/striping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little sheet metal work and new paint/striping.

Well, KC wanted me to stripe his tank and fender for his bike, so this is what it looked like when I finished it last April.

Here's KC's fender after I striped it the first time, and before I filled all the holes. You can see where the holes for the tail light, blinkers, etc went.

Then after some welding and grinding.

Body worked and painted back factory flattened dark blue. Sorry for the grainy cell phone pictures.

Here it is after the first color, Metallic Copper.

And now as it is, striped up and DONE ! Metallic Copper and Ivory.

Now I just need some pictures from KC with it all together !!

-Aaron

Comment

I don't know if this belongs in this forum, or if I should just put it in the Picture/Video forum.

Brooks, you can move this if you don't feel it's fit for the forum.

-Aaron

Comment

How much "mud" is on that fender?
        Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
        There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
          How much "mud" is on that fender?
          Not a lot. When I filled the holes I used a hand punch and some 16 gauge sheet metal for "plugs" to fill the holes and welded them in from the back side. Then I put some tacks on the top to have some metal to grind down and make the top smooth.

Then I used a piece of sheet metal that was rolled on the slip roll, then stretched/shrunk to get the shape of the fender since we don't have an English Wheel.

I'm VERY happy with how it came out. I can't wait to see it on his bike !!

-Aaron

Comment

awesome job

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
              I don't know if this belongs in this forum, or if I should just put it in the Picture/Video forum.

Brooks, you can move this if you don't feel it's fit for the forum.

-Aaron
              Nope, it's fine here Aaron.

Good work man, I'm not a major fan of pinstriping - but that's some good looking work, I can appreciate talent when I see it! Especially the 2nd version.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                awesome job
                Originally posted by turbostang View Post
                Nope, it's fine here Aaron.

Good work man, I'm not a major fan of pinstriping - but that's some good looking work, I can appreciate talent when I see it! Especially the 2nd version.
                Thanks guys !!

Comment

Not a lot. When I filled the holes I used a hand punch and some 16 gauge sheet metal for "plugs" to fill the holes and welded them in from the back side. Then I put some tacks on the top to have some metal to grind down and make the top smooth.

Then I used a piece of sheet metal that was rolled on the slip roll, then stretched/shrunk to get the shape of the fender since we don't have an English Wheel.

I'm VERY happy with how it came out. I can't wait to see it on his bike !!

-Aaron
                  That's awesome. When you were shrinking were you using any particular process? (Tuck puck, shrinking fork, etc) Looks great!
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

That's awesome. When you were shrinking were you using any particular process? (Tuck puck, shrinking fork, etc) Looks great!
                    My dad has a shrinker/stretcher set that he got from Eastwood. It's a little tougher to make a compound radius doing it that way, but it came out good, in my opinion.

If you don't have a shrinker/stretcher set, and you do any metal work, GET SOME !! They are an awesome tool to have. I had to cut out, and weld in new metal on my Riviera where the windshield and rear glass sealed against. They were almost completely rotted out, and I just took some sheet metal, bent it on the brake, then used the shrinker and stretcher to get the curve I needed and welded it all back in. No leaks now !

-Aaron

Comment

If you don't have a shrinker/stretcher set, and you do any metal work, GET SOME !!
                      I wish. I don't do enough metal work to justify the cost + stand + foot pedal. I'm stuck using a tucking fork and hammer or my hammer and ewheel for stretching/forming. Looks great! Did you get any under fender shots?

Comment

Second version looks clean as shit.

Comment

I wish. I don't do enough metal work to justify the cost + stand + foot pedal. I'm stuck using a tucking fork and hammer or my hammer and ewheel for stretching/forming. Looks great! Did you get any under fender shots?
                          Man, the ones my dad has are just the bench mount ones, and we have a big steel table with some holes in it to anchor them. You don't need the stand and foot pedal. The ones he has are like $179 now. When he bought them they were like $300. I'd really like to get an English wheel and do more of this kind of stuff. This is the stuff I'm really interested in.

I didn't get any under fender shots. I ground down the smaller holes that I welded up, but where the tail light went in the fender, it was double wall, so I had to weld the big patch in on the outside of the fender.

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                          Second version looks clean as shit.
                          Thanks Jeremy. I like the new version more too. Not having the lights and shit to have to go around, it looks a lot cleaner and more fluid.

-Aaron

Comment

Damn dude thats nice work all around. did not know you did metal work too!
                            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCoupeRedVert View Post
                              Damn dude thats nice work all around. did not know you did metal work too!
                              Thanks Doug ! Yeah, I like to when I get a chance. I really enjoy doing metal work.

If you get a chance, look in this forum for my other thread that I posted. It's got some more metal work that I've done and remembered to take pictures of.

Comment

Working...
                              X