Which clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which clear

I need to pick up some clear for my model cars. The last time I was building I used omni. It sprayed well through my airbrush. Just wondering if there is a better option. I am spraying 1/12th and 1/24 scale cars so the suface area is small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Just got off the phone with English color, seemsbprices have gone up. I don't remember paying 80+ for my clear. Maybe I have their house brand, not omni. Anyone know the shelf life? I have a mostly full xan of clear in storage, it has been there for about 3 years

Comment

I have some DuPont 7900s and some Nason clear that has been in my paint cabinet for around the same amount of time and I know for sure its still good. I just sprayed some of the DuPont the other day. Thing is, my cabinet is in the garage, and while not temperature controlled, it's no hot storage unit. Usually what goes bad is the hardner.

DuPont makes a snap dry clear that you can get in a quarts that is a very nice clear. I can get you part # if you want. I haven't bought any lately but I don't think it's anywhere near $80.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
      --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
        I have some DuPont 7900s and some Nason clear that has been in my paint cabinet for around the same amount of time and I know for sure its still good. I just sprayed some of the DuPont the other day. Thing is, my cabinet is in the garage, and while not temperature controlled, it's no hot storage unit. Usually what goes bad is the hardner.

DuPont makes a snap dry clear that you can get in a quarts that is a very nice clear. I can get you part # if you want. I haven't bought any lately but I don't think it's anywhere near $80.

I went and tore apart my storage unit Friday after work. I found paint cans for every color I ever bought, but nosign of the clear. I found the hardener, and saw that I wasn't shooting omni, it was english colors house brand, advantage. Its only about $55 for a quart of clear,hardener, and reducer. I was pretty upset that I couldn't find it. I am anxious to get my mustang model cleared!

Comment

Just went out to my cabinet and pulled the one I mentioned. Its ChromaClear HC-7776s. Its a snap dry clear that flows out very quick and then sets up just as quick. Dust free in 10min and completely dry in 2hrs. Haven't bought this stuff in a long time so I'm not sure of the price but i doubt it's in the $80 range.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

FYI, there are several companies like UPOL, Evercoat, and Nason that make an aerosol clear that is intended for jambing that might work for what you're doing. I would expect there to be a lot of orange peel with anything out of an aerosol can though.
            --carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
              FYI, there are several companies like UPOL, Evercoat, and Nason that make an aerosol clear that is intended for jambing that might work for what you're doing. I would expect there to be a lot of orange peel with anything out of an aerosol can though.
              That has been my experience with aerosol, granted not high quality stuff. When I first started building, I used nothing but aerosol. The clear was duplicolor and it took a ton of work to be presentable. I prefer the control I have with my airbrush. When you look at how many models I can shoot from a can of clear, it isnt that expensive (it takes MAYBE 3 oz to clear a 1:12th scale model if that much) so the cost per kit isn't that much, its just that initial investment!

Comment

Working...
              X