Cheap home automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap home automation

Well, just thought Id throw this out there. You can pick up a Monster remote (supposed to be the same thing as the Harmony 890Pro) from amazon for $68 shipped.

This is a pretty good price. Its a bit older technology, but hey...it works and its cheap. Not the prettiest thing but its very functional

Then...Radioshack has Z-wave stuff from GE 1/2 off right now on clearance. Electrical sockets are $15 each, dimmer switches $20, light/appliance outlets are $20.

All of this stuff integrates with each other through Z-Wave technology (which has been around for a few years) really well. You can set the remote to turn on the tv, dim the lights, turn on the receiver, etc all with 1 click. Hell, the remote can control your thermostat. Its silly to carry around a remote, but you can also buy small keyring fobs that can turn on lights and stuff when you get home so you dont walk into a dark house. Z-Wave is a standard...so there are lots of companies out there that sell Z-wave stuff.

Just thought Id throw this out for anyone who might be interested. The Monster remote is what sold me...the 1/2 off stuff at Radioshack was a bonus. Also, here is a link for a $10 off $40 for radio shack. Doesnt always work the first time, might have to reload it.

I ordered one...looks like a good deal.

Don't know if I'll do much of the automation, but it would be nice to be able to control the thermostat from the couch!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

I ordered a bunch of Smart Home stuff online that works using a little receiver box by my TV, and is supposed to communicate to wall switches and sockets through the electrical lines in the house. Works correctly about 1/3 of the time. I also bought several remote dimmers for around the house that you have to point the remote in their direction (bought from Home Depot), and those work great. I use a Harmony One remote.

I was pumped a out the Smart Home stuff, and dropped a couple hundred bucks, and I'm very disappointed. Not sure if that's the Z-wave technology, but if it goes through the electrical lines, I don't want anything to do with it again.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
        I ordered a bunch of Smart Home stuff online that works using a little receiver box by my TV, and is supposed to communicate to wall switches and sockets through the electrical lines in the house. Works correctly about 1/3 of the time. I also bought several remote dimmers for around the house that you have to point the remote in their direction (bought from Home Depot), and those work great. I use a Harmony One remote.

I was pumped a out the Smart Home stuff, and dropped a couple hundred bucks, and I'm very disappointed. Not sure if that's the Z-wave technology, but if it goes through the electrical lines, I don't want anything to do with it again.
        z-wave is different. Its all RF based. From the reviews, its awesome. I bought a Schlage lock today and it seems pretty cool. I dont have my remote yet, but they have an app you can control all the zwave stuff, but they charge yearly for the online capabilities.

Comment

I think there are some ipad apps that somehow tie into these remotely. A consultant guy at work was showing how he can control lighting and HVAC stuff from his ipad. He was in Texas and was messing with his wife back home in North Dakota shutting lights on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
            I think there are some ipad apps that somehow tie into these remotely. A consultant guy at work was showing how he can control lighting and HVAC stuff from his ipad. He was in Texas and was messing with his wife back home in North Dakota shutting lights on/off.

LMAO! Awesome!

I will look into this Z-Wave stuff. Sounds cool.

Comment

That's what I'm talking about! I'd really like to be able to control my HVAC remotely.

I'm sitting here freezing my ass off right now because I turned the heat down to 55 for the 2 weeks I was gone. Woulda been nice to have it all warmed-up for me! I'd pay fo the online accessibility if it were $20 or less/month. I'd save more than that in electricity, for sure.

Comment

I went to a couple of local Radio Shacks and picked up a Z-wave outlet for $15 and a Z-wave thermostat for $50 (after $10 survey coupon). I couldn't find the wireless bridge that you need to hook up to your computer, but just bought one on ebay for $50 shipped.

Now I need to subscribe to their montly internet monitoring service for $13/month, and I should be able to control my thermostat from my Blackberry. Awesome.

Thanks again for the heads-up on these deals!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                  I went to a couple of local Radio Shacks and picked up a Z-wave outlet for $15 and a Z-wave thermostat for $50 (after $10 survey coupon). I couldn't find the wireless bridge that you need to hook up to your computer, but just bought one on ebay for $50 shipped.

Now I need to subscribe to their montly internet monitoring service for $13/month, and I should be able to control my thermostat from my Blackberry. Awesome.

Thanks again for the heads-up on these deals!
                  Schlage's service is $8.95/month if I read it right. I will be buying a couple more dimmer switches tomorrow. Codes arent working online.

Comment

Jason... If you are interested, I downloaded a copy of HomeSeer Pro which is an awesome control software. Then you just need a $45 USB device to connect the computer to the Zwave stuff to setup control of everything.

HomeSeer is supposed to have a phone app for it... Saw their Android video on youtube...reading the forums and people are using ti on the Iphone.

Comment

What would HomeSeer do or replace in the system that I'm going with? Sorry, I'm confused...happens often.

Comment

HomeSeer is just controlling software you can control from your computer. Its can do most of the same stuff Schlage Link can do..but no monthly cost. Just need a computer up and runnign all the time.

Comment

Ahh...Ok, thanks...would much rather do that than pay monthly.

What is it that I need to buy for $45?

Comment

Had all my stuff waiting on me when I got home this week. Got the remote charging and am gonna try to figure the whole system out in the morning. Wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X