Storage Building/Workshop- electrical Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage Building/Workshop- electrical Q's

I will be building a small storage building/workshop (12 x 12) and want to wire it up so I can run a window unit, a few lights and outlets. The intent is to use at a workshop for a car project I'm starting with my step son this summer. The workshop is going to be built approximately 25 yards from my current electrical service/breaker box and about the same distance from the main line/pole.

Is it going to be more cost effective to run wire from existing service or get a new service meter? I know if I get new meter it has to be at a commercial rate not a residential rate so I will pay more per KW. I think it is right at $150 to establish an additional meter per Oncor.

Also does this require any permits? I'm good on the HOA since ours died many years ago so it is not maintained or enforced.

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
    I will be building a small storage building/workshop (12 x 12) and want to wire it up so I can run a window unit, a few lights and outlets. The intent is to use at a workshop for a car project I'm starting with my step son this summer. The workshop is going to be built approximately 25 yards from my current electrical service/breaker box and about the same distance from the main line/pole.

Is it going to be more cost effective to run wire from existing service or get a new service meter? I know if I get new meter it has to be at a commercial rate not a residential rate so I will pay more per KW. I think it is right at $150 to establish an additional meter per Oncor.

Also does this require any permits? I'm good on the HOA since ours died many years ago so it is not maintained or enforced.
    just install a 50/2 breaker in your home panel and run a conduit with 3#6s & 1#10 ground to a small load center in your work shop. in lieu of conduit, you could run a direct burial cable (6/3) as well. it might be cheaper on the front end, to setup a new service, but you'll end up paying a minimum service charge, and that will end up costing more in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by STANGGT40 View Post
      just install a 50/2 breaker in your home panel and run a conduit with 3#6s & 1#10 ground to a small load center in your work shop. in lieu of conduit, you could run a direct burial cable (6/3) as well. it might be cheaper on the front end, to setup a new service, but you'll end up paying a minimum service charge, and that will end up costing more in the long run.
      this is all so so true.

depending on your current service i would consider thinking about future "wants" in your shed.

Welder/Air Compressor

you may want to step up the service to the shed assuming your current main service will supply the demand. better to do it now rather than waste the $ on the wire sub panel and have to scrap it all to up it later

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
        this is all so so true.

depending on your current service i would consider thinking about future "wants" in your shed.

Welder/Air Compressor

you may want to step up the service to the shed assuming your current main service will supply the demand. better to do it now rather than waste the $ on the wire sub panel and have to scrap it all to up it later

Yea those are two items I will be running in the near future. I think an electrical load requirements worksheet is in order to determine the best course of action.

Comment

if your service is a 200a service you should be good. id pull a 100a service out to the shed and install a 100 sub panel and be done with it......wire is gonna be costly but will save you future headaches

RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN AND WIRING GURU!!!!

Comment

Personally, I can be short sighted and would only do a 30a run and break out the sockets from there...

I don't think anyone is giving bad advice in this thread though so far.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Don't get another meter, if you can help it.

Comment

Originally posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
                if your service is a 200a service you should be good. id pull a 100a service out to the shed and install a 100 sub panel and be done with it......wire is gonna be costly but will save you future headaches
                I work for a wire and cable company so I can get it at a decent price-we scrap a lot of short lengths that would probably meet my needs- I just need to find out what type of wire I need.

I work in a support capacity so don't know our product line well but we have every type of wire and cable know to man- network, power, coax......

Thanks for all the help and sound advice!

Comment

Working...
                X