Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bang for my buck (investment wise) on updating kitchen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bang for my buck (investment wise) on updating kitchen?

Our kitchen is still the same as it was put in in 1997 when the home was constructed. My wife is wanting to update it and I am trying to make a list of what items will really add to the value of the home and give us the best return when we go to sell it in a few years. Please feel free to add to or comment on my list.

Upgrade List
    1. Granite counters
    2. new sink
    3. all new appliances
    4. new cabinets or re-do cabinets?
    5. currently have tile in the kitchen, replace or update?

We just scored a kick ass fixture for the kitchen, which looks great, but now looks way out of place among the rest of the kitchen.

What else?

you have a lot of money in what you got there and I don't know if you will get it back when its time to sell the house

Comment

well we havent bought anything but the light fixture yet, we are still planning. if say one thing will give us 20 return, and another will give us 60 percent return, we will go with that one. but if the whole remodel will give us 65 percent combined, then its worth it in our opinion. we just know we have to update it before selling to differentiate from other homes in the neighborhood.

Comment

New cabinet doors maybe, but not entire cabinets. New paint, nice backsplash (glass tiles are in now) are fairly cheap and a good ROI. Also, maybe just new hardware on the existing cabinets, that can make a huge diference.

Comment

use granite tile instead of solid for the countertops looks great and cheaper
          2006 Civic SI
          2009 Pilot
          1988 GT
          CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
            use granite tile instead of solid for the countertops looks great and cheaper
            Not for resale

Comment

You are on the right track.... For kitchen counters i would put solid Granite counters not tile. If it were a bathroom or bar then that would be different. Undermount sink or a lot of people are going with the country sinks right now. A nice gas range if you have gas and double ovens help a shit ton also. Anything that creates good usable counter space but doesn't disrupt the flow of the kitchen will also help, like an island if there is room. Under cab lighting. New paint and or texture depending on if you have popcorn on the ceiling. A nice backsplash that will help bring things together. I'll post some pics of what we did in our kitchen to give you an idea.

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

We gutted the kitchen and started with everything new including sheetrock. It turned out pretty nice but there are a few things I would have changed if i could have.

I recondition headlights on most cars for $50.00. If interested shoot me a pm.

Comment

pretty fancy! love the colors of the back splash

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                    Not for resale
                    granite tile relative to formica is a great alternative to solid granite, yes of course solid granite is awesome looks great durable but I can tell you that the $250 I spent on tile compared to the couple grand for solid was well worth my BANG for the buck. The tiles have a bevel edge to be able to butt them together. My counter looks like solid unless you are standing over it.
                    2006 Civic SI
                    2009 Pilot
                    1988 GT
                    CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I would hit up appliance wholesale and distributors for floor models and discounted items. My brother hooked me up with $12,000 in Bosch and Jennaire for less than $5,000.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                      X