Replacing deadbolts, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing deadbolts, suggestions?

I have the Kwikset Smart Key dedbolts right now but one of the damn things doesn't work with any key anymore. I've done some research and found that this is a frequent issue with these locks.

I want to replace them both before the 2nd one also goes to shit. Anybody have any recommendations for a good deadbolt/doorknob set that will last and not completely break the bank?

I've heard that Medeco & Baldwin are two good brands. I'm just looking for something I can pick up locally from a box store, locksmith, or something like that.
    "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

I was looking at some (sp?) Schlage deadbolts at Home Depot. Their selection aint huge, but they have a decent mix of cheap to mid level locks.

Comment

I've always had good luck with Schlage and never had one gum-up or stop working.
      Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Pull it and take it Depot/Lowe's and see if they can repair it. They've repaired mine before for free.

Comment

Deadbolts

Medeco is high security and as good as any deadbolt you can buy, you'll have to get it at a locksmith (Michael's Keys). The others mentioned Baldwin is a Schlage for all practical purposes.
          In this order

1 Medeco
          2 Schlage or Baldwin
          3 Weiser
          4 Kwikset
          5 Weslock

Other than the Medeco you can buy at HD,Lowes etc.
          Stay away from the smart key you can rekey your own crap (currently being produced by Kwikset and Schlage) it has BIG SUCK all over it.
          Medeco will cost you considerably more than the others but are worth it.

Comment

Locks just keep the honest people out!
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Deadbolts

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
              Locks just keep the honest people out!
              Done properly they also make Joe bad guy pick someone down the street.

Comment

I ended up taking the lock apart and headed over to Home Depot. They ended up giving me the lock cylinder assembly along with the keys from a new lock. Installed and rekeyed when I got home.

I do agree that the locks really only keep the honest people out. I have plenty of lighting around the house (much more than any other house on the street) I also have an alarm and display that I have one.

Bottom line, if someone wants in they'll get in. No one thing will keep them out but if I can make other peoples houses look like easier targets than mine, then I'm good with that.
                "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Deadbolts

Here is the video that the lock manufacturer Kwikset doesn't want you to see: This tool easily defeats the Kwikset Smartkey lock. For Locksmith service in Ph...

Hope theyr'e pretty honest.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                    I ended up taking the lock apart and headed over to Home Depot. They ended up giving me the lock cylinder assembly along with the keys from a new lock. Installed and rekeyed when I got home.

I do agree that the locks really only keep the honest people out. I have plenty of lighting around the house (much more than any other house on the street) I also have an alarm and display that I have one.

Bottom line, if someone wants in they'll get in. No one thing will keep them out but if I can make other peoples houses look like easier targets than mine, then I'm good with that.
                    I've always found that a big fucking dog in the house really helps!
                    Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

Working...
                    X