new trap/bird gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new trap/bird gun

CZ Canvasback silver edition with extended chokes, 12 ga 28 in barrels, fiber optic front sight.

Buying a set of carlson extended, ported chokes, and some kind of recoil pad for it.

NICE! how does it shoot?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Looks nice. I would throw an inertia reducer in the stock while the butt pad is being replaced, just to make it a bit softer on recoil.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        NICE! how does it shoot?
        no idea yet. hope to get it out to elm fork this weekend and pop her cherry!

Originally posted by dee View Post
        Looks nice. I would throw an inertia reducer in the stock while the butt pad is being replaced, just to make it a bit softer on recoil.
        i'll look into it. all in all recoil shouldnt be too bad after i install the pad. i load my own 7/8 oz. shot shells so theyre pretty tame. i read the ported chokes might help a bit too.

thanks for the compliments, it's my first o/u.

Comment

Ported chokes don't help recoil much, they seem to keep the muzzle climb down though. The same can be said for ported barrels on shotguns.

On shotguns the less recoil the better as they can get pretty fatiguing over long periods of shooting, no matter the loads. When you say "trap" are you actually shooting rounds as in 25 rds or just throwing clays out back? I ask because 7/8 oz loads won't be much help if you move off the 16 yard line. When I shot a lot of trap I used 1 1/8 oz loads with great results since recoil can be adjusted somewhat by type of powder used.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            Ported chokes don't help recoil much, they seem to keep the muzzle climb down though. The same can be said for ported barrels on shotguns.

On shotguns the less recoil the better as they can get pretty fatiguing over long periods of shooting, no matter the loads. When you say "trap" are you actually shooting rounds as in 25 rds or just throwing clays out back? I ask because 7/8 oz loads won't be much help if you move off the 16 yard line. When I shot a lot of trap I used 1 1/8 oz loads with great results since recoil can be adjusted somewhat by type of powder used.
            maybe that's what i meant, helps your follow up shot in doubles.

i shoot your standard 25 clay rds. of wobble and ata trap up at elm fork from the 16 yd. line. i'm slowly getting used to using a full choke and then i'll try the further distances.

depending on my success with 7/8 further back, i might move back up to a 1 oz. load. for now i'm doing good with 7/8 and i get a better bang for my buck.

i'll just have to play around with it a bit, i just started loading my owns AA shells.

edit: i've been shooting with a winchester 1300 autoloader. dont like feeling the action cycle so that's why i chose a o/u

Comment

Understandable. I haven't shot trap in several years as I've moved on to skeet or sporting clays as I find them to be closer to the type of shots encountered dove hunting.

Some other hulls to look at if you have access is Remington Premier STS or the Remington Gun Club hulls they load every bit as good as the AA stuff. One of my all time favorite hulls is the Federal Paper Golds or Rem STS hulls. I have a good stock of 20 (all I shoot any more) and 12 just haven't loaded any in a good while.

What powder are you using with the 7/8oz loads?

Comment

red dot. it's all they had at bass pro when i was picking up supplies.

i shoot skeet too, but i'm really liking trap at the moment.

eventually i'll want to dabble in sporting clays and 5-stand.

it's all fun as hell! i find myself hardly ever going to the pistol range anymore since i started busting clay.

Comment

You need to try clays it's a little cleaner and to some softer recoiling. I used Red Dot or WSF for 12 for many years with good results, the 20ga gets Universal Clays or Green Dot.

With the O/U you might look into WSF it is a fast powder but it is pretty dirty.

Comment

yes sir thanks for the recommendation. once this red dot runs out, ill look into those two.

i have several powder bushings, but i assume what bushings you use depends on what powder youre using?

are the winchester w209 primers good to use? this combo seems to be working well so far.

Comment

You using a mec loader?

W209 is all I have ever used.

Comment

yea, a mec 600 jr.

Comment

Nice gun. It has that rolled pistol like grip for easier handling like my Browning.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                            Nice gun. It has that rolled pistol like grip for easier handling like my Browning.
                            thanks. it's a very reasonbly priced entry level gun too imo. there are several more on gunbroker if anyone is looking.

nib, $650, free shipping and no sales tax.

Comment

I wish I would have looked at CZ's when I bought mine. I didn't even think they made O/U shotguns. Would have saved me about a grand. lol I know their pistols are good quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X