Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Firing and training yourself to shoot better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Firing and training yourself to shoot better.

This has really helped me be a better shooter. I use it more with positional shooting than anything else, but it's a great warm up.

Next time you take that "cold bore" shot. Dry fire for about 5 min, and tell me if your first 3 shots are not MUCH closer.

I dry fire a lot, especially when switching between rifles at the range.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

If I find out a friend is a new shooter, I almost always make sure they get a pack of snap caps to help them practice at the house. It can really help to develop form and muscle memory with pistols, too.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        If I find out a friend is a new shooter, I almost always make sure they get a pack of snap caps to help them practice at the house. It can really help to develop form and muscle memory with pistols, too.
        Snap caps are good for fixing flinching as well.

Comment

Snapping in....

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
            Snapping in....
            This.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Snap caps aren't needed, but they can be used to "slip in" on your range buddy to see if he flinches.

Comment

They are necessary on some action designs. The M1/M1A action is one that needs them.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                  They are necessary on some action designs. The M1/M1A action is one that needs them.
                  Oh, because it won't close with out it?

Did not think of that. Thanks dee

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                    Oh, because it won't close with out it?

Did not think of that. Thanks dee
                    It's more to do with possible damage to the firing pin on those actions in particular.

Comment

Snapping in is a term used in USMC basic/recruit training where you spend time around the ranges in learning about different firing positions, trigger control, breathing, sight alignment/sight picture, keeping a range book, ect. Then you practice for a couple of weeks dry firing prior to actually shooting live rounds. They used to pair you up with another kid who would stand behind you and have a string that was tied to your charging handle so he could charge it back after you took a shot. That video just reminded me of snapping in and how much you learned before you even fired a round down range.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                        It's more to do with possible damage to the firing pin on those actions in particular.
                        Rimfires shouldn't be dry fired without them, IMO.
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                        X