Rooting for Droid X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooting for Droid X

OK.. I have tried 3 different versions and each one gives me a virus on my computer. Is there an easy and detailed list of step by step instructions, that does not give my computer a virus?

Thanks

LMAO!

Froyo is a bit of a pain to root! Well, this fixes that. Credits z4ziggy Sebastian Krahmer's rageagainstthecage What this does It is an app you install from the market or by side loading, that has a single button that will root your device...
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Or, http://gizmodo.com/5598894/droid-x-g...ck-rooting-app

Comment

BTW, what AV are you using that's flaggin the tool as a virus? Can you give me a link so I can test said app w/ 43 different av's to see what they say?

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
          Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
          BTW, what AV are you using that's flaggin the tool as a virus? Can you give me a link so I can test said app w/ 43 different av's to see what they say?
          Thanks for the links.

Let's backtrack a little... I've had a blackberry for 10 years and this is all new to me. I wanted to root the phone (Droid x) since everyone says to and because the keyboard I want says I have to be rooted to download it. I have no other apps downloaded. I have no idea what I'm doing with this phone... I got it because of the camera/video (I have a 2 year old).

In regards to the links you posted, I appreciate it but... this is exactly what I'm talking about. Everyone posts links that take me to another website that takes me another discussion forum that takes me to a .zip file ... and Kaspersky says there is a Trojan. So... I turn off Kaspersky and what happens... virus...

I appreciate your help.

Comment

i'm calling bs on a virus from xda-developers.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              I haven't gotten that far with the xda-developers site... the thread is 179 pages long. I had to sign up before I could download the program... doing that now... then off to reading 179 pages I guess.

Comment

here is what I get when I click the link on xda...

Kaspersky
                Internet Security 2011
                Access denied
                The requested URL cannot be provided

The requested object at the URL:

Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Hardware & App Development

attachment.php?attachmentid=446145&d=

Threat detected:

object is infected by Exploit.Linux.Lotoor.g

Message generated: 9:16:30 PM

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                  Me too. Kaspersky is being waaaaaay over zealous.

Here's the VT results for z4root. Notice the name is the same? Seems like they're all usin Kas's defs. It's not a virus, it behaves in a way similar to how one might but is 100% safe.

VirusTotal is a free virus, malware and URL online scanning service. File checking is done with more than 40 antivirus solutions. Files and URLs can be sent via web interface upload, email API or making use of VirusTotal's browser extensions and desktop applications.

Here's for the one I linked to. Just like XDA, Gizmodo isn't gonna link to malware. Their reputation is to big for a goof up like that.

VirusTotal is a free virus, malware and URL online scanning service. File checking is done with more than 40 antivirus solutions. Files and URLs can be sent via web interface upload, email API or making use of VirusTotal's browser extensions and desktop applications.

I'd personally go the one click route, but do your due diligence and backup. It's your safety net.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny c View Post
                    here is what I get when I click the link on xda...

Kaspersky
                    Internet Security 2011
                    Access denied
                    The requested URL cannot be provided

The requested object at the URL:

Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Hardware & App Development

attachment.php?attachmentid=446145&d=

Threat detected:

object is infected by Exploit.Linux.Lotoor.g

Message generated: 9:16:30 PM
                    Here's both of them straight from my lappy. Lemme know when you're done.

Comment

I used z4root. I can send you the apk if you need it.

My DroidX: Rooted, Liberty Rom, Revolution theme, Overlocked/undervolted.
                      Last edited by FastFord19; 01-18-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                        I used z4root. I can send you the apk if you need it.

My DroidX: Rooted, Liberty Rom, Revolution theme, Overlocked/undervolted.
                        Sounds slow
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Here's both of them straight from my lappy. Lemme know when you're done.

http://lappy.txredneck.operaunite.com/file_sharing/
                          Thank you

I got the program downloaded. I extracted the files. I ran the program. It will not root. About halfway through it asks me toggle my bluetooth (don't have one) and I try it anyway, then at the end of the download it says it did not root.

Comment

It's saying to toggle the bluetooth function of the phone. FF19 said he used z4root w/success, you may as well try it. If you can't sideload on that phone, here's a free app to sideload any app on any phone.

I'm off to bed but I'll check this in the AM.

Comment

It's saying to toggle the bluetooth function of the phone. FF19 said he used z4root w/success, you may as well try it. If you can't sideload on that phone, here's a free app to sideload any app on any phone.

I'm off to bed but I'll check this in the AM.
                              I have no idea what sideloading means, why I need it, etc.

All I know is that this process is too frustrating for something that should be so easy...

Comment

Working...
                              X