Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It ain't chooochooo$$$$, but DART has openings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't chooochooo$$$$, but DART has openings...

Figured I'd throw the link out there for anyone who is looking for a job. I just started Monday as a signal maintainer, so I don't know exactly how "great" the company is, but the benefits are good. Just about everyone I have talked to likes it here.

92 LX 5.0

Originally posted by bobs94formula View Post
    Figured I'd throw the link out there for anyone who is looking for a job. I just started Monday as a signal maintainer, so I don't know exactly how "great" the company is, but the benefits are good. Just about everyone I have talked to likes it here.

http://www.dart.org/hr/humanresources.asp?zeon=all
    Signal Maintainer for DART......I wish you the best. Did it for 12 years. Curious to know the current pecking order in the department and how many people I worked with/trained are still there.

Comment

What does a signal maintainer do? What education or experience do you need?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Comment

i would take a rather large paycut for any of them, and im probably not qualified. it would be nice to be home more though.
        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by emg View Post
          What does a signal maintainer do? What education or experience do you need?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
          Easiest way to describe it where most people would understand....fix broken crossing arms when dumbasses try to beat the gates down. Fix broken lights on the gate arms when they get broken from hitting numerous cars daily. At DART they also maintain and inspect all the electric and manual switch machines that move the trains from one track to the other, keep the signals lit even under the worst weather conditions possible (sometimes requiring power backfeeds and knowing how to hook up generators in the field). Its a fairly easy job doing the average day to day job (inspections, occasional trouble calls), but sometimes it can get pretty intense depending on weather, time of day, traffic, and can become quite complex if the computer systems fail (lightning strikes, power surges, etc). Working knowledge of electricity (AC and DC) from voltages ranging from 5vdc all the way to 850V DC and everything in between is really important to not get yourself hurt or killed.

Comment

I wouldn't mind working on the distribution end of the track maintaining the power source, but eff changing light bulbs all day. Been there done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
              I wouldn't mind working on the distribution end of the track maintaining the power source, but eff changing light bulbs all day. Been there done that.
              Most if not all of the trackside and mast mounted signals were converted to LED back around 2005. The power responsibilities are shared between signals (they use what has been stepped down from high power substations) and TES (another department which handles the actual overhead power and the various transformers which supply everyone else with power). The highest voltages a signal maintainer will deal with is 480v AC but only in select locations and on a limited basis. Most of the job is centered around doing constant inspections and maintenance on the crossing equipment and switch machines.

Comment

Working...
              X