Would you buy a KTM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a KTM?

Other than a few Chinese mini bikes, I've never owned a dirtbike before.

I've been looking at getting a KTM 250 SX-F or KTM 250 EXC-F to do some trail riding and just mess around on. I am NOT going to do any MX riding or anything like that.

One of my friends that raced MX was saying that the KTM stuff is a lot more expensive than the Japanese bikes. How true is that?

Thanks for hearing the newbie questions.

a ktm four stroke is generally two to three more time expensive to maintain than a japanese four stroke.

the one good thing about ktm is their dealers tend to actually have parts in stock. SMS racing in denton is very good.

Comment

i forgot. no, i would never buy a ktm.

ride red motherfucker.

Comment

Yes. Next bike will hopefully be a ktm 2stroke.

Call around for prices and you'll find that four strokes are just expensive period.

Comment

ktm parts have always been more expensive weather its 2 or 4 stroke

Comment

Also look for a lightly ised unit. I just bought a 2007 yamaha WR250F for $2800. The bike is onlty 6 months olds and got it for 1/3 of what a new bike cost.

Comment

I'm about to buy the kid a KTM 65. I've heard they are ridiculously easy to work on, and that KTM engineers think of everything in the way of creature comforts.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I would buy a KTM supermoto, but stick with Honda otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  I'm about to buy the kid a KTM 65. I've heard they are ridiculously easy to work on, and that KTM engineers think of everything in the way of creature comforts.
                  Get him a Honda CRF 50/70 or 80 if you want a "real" clutch/shifter IMO......

Comment

Buying a 350sxf soon.

Comment

KTMs are amazing bikes
                      www.crossfit.com

Comment

No.

They are amazing IF and WHEN they aren't broken. After riding a few times with buddies who have them and watching them curse, scream, throw tools, and repair them in the field while I ride around on my jap bike I think I'll stick with my slow overweight DRZ that has never left me stranded.

Comment

Proper maintenance at home will prevent maintenance at the track. The kind of people that throw tools and curse at their bikes arent the kind of people that know how to maintain their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                            Proper maintenance at home will prevent maintenance at the track. The kind of people that throw tools and curse at their bikes arent the kind of people that know how to maintain their stuff.
                            I agree...but unfortunately I've met more than a handful of people who bought a KTM because it was the most expensive....kind of like a status symbol.

Comment

Blake, get a WR250. electric start, and can be modded to almost YZF specs when you want to go a little faster.if you do not get a bike with an electric start, get a two stroke.
                              http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Working...
                              X