Just replacing the stock speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just replacing the stock speakers

Is just replacing speakers in my f-350 a waste of money? I'm not looking at adding a sub and just run the factory radio. But I do want better overall sound. If I can what are the best speakers to put in?
    2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

I changed mine out in a 2010 F-150. I didn't really notice a difference unless I play something from the iPod or USB. The stock AM/FM/Sirius radio just doesn't have it.
    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Better speakers will sound better but $59 speakers will probably sound worse. Many of the factory truck speakers are dual cone which means no tweeter. Aftermarket speakers will have a tweeter. Anything from around $99 and up per pair will have much better materials than factory and a higher quality tweeter than the cheaper speakers. The factory radio does not have much power. Putting in an expensive set of components with passive crossovers will result in lower volume because the factory deck does not have enough power to drive them. If you want more volume or more bass, then you will have to buy an amp or amp and sub. The additional power will make a huge difference and if you add a sub, you can use the crossover in the amp to remove the bass information from the factory speaker locations which will improve clarity at higher volume levels.
      Power is your friend.

Comment

EW is right (of course).

I always recommend to start at the source and upgrade downstream.

A good aftermarket head unit with stock speakers will sound better than a factory head unit and good aftermarket speakers.

A factory head unit with an amp on your factory speakers will sound better than aftermarket speakers and no amp.

In other words, you will get better results by using the money on upgrading the factory head unit and/or adding an amp before you upgrade the speakers.

I would start with the head unit, because a good one will sound better, have more power, and make it easier to add an amp or amps later.

If you are in love with the factory head unit for some reason, add an amp to your setup first. You'll still want to upgrade speakers later, but this will be the order to do it to get the most instant satisfaction now and to get the best end result later.

Comment

Are there any amps that are plug and play for Fords?

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
            I changed mine out in a 2010 F-150. I didn't really notice a difference unless I play something from the iPod or USB. The stock AM/FM/Sirius radio just doesn't have it.
            Where did you get the harness adapters for the after market speakers?
            I haven't been able to find any local

Comment

I bought the speakers from Crutchfield. They include them. I'm sure you can buy just the harnesses only.

Comment

Are there any amps that are plug and play for Fords?
                no

Comment

Originally posted by slow55 View Post
                  Where did you get the harness adapters for the after market speakers?
                  I haven't been able to find any local
                  Cut the plugs off and leave 1.5-2" of wire on the plug so you can reconnect them later if you want to.

Comment

I was just looking at this pic of the factory speaker. You may be able to cut off the connector and reuse it, if you are not willing to cut the factory connector off the line feeding into the speaker.

Comment

I was just looking at this pic of the factory speaker. You may be able to cut off the connector and reuse it, if you are not willing to cut the factory connector off the line feeding into the speaker.

I do that at work all the time, even though these are POS used cars, I still can't bring myself to cut a factory harness. Just pry off the old connector, and solder it to the new speaker connectors, it will fit with a little cutting/bending.
                      sigpic

Comment

I found some adapters at Best buy
                        I put some new Alpine type R's in the front and rear and it made a big difference in the sound with the stock system.
                        I still have a jl 300/4 to put in it so I'm sure it will sound damn good afte that.

Comment

Working...
                        X