Computer loads to safe mode fine, but screen shuts of with normal boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer loads to safe mode fine, but screen shuts of with normal boot

I have a computer that when windows xp boots it will load up the desktop screen, but eventually the screen will turn off and the computer is unresponsive. the only way you can turn the computer off is by holding the power button. In safe mode it will stay running forever, just when it boots normally it fucks up. I thought it could be the video drivers, downloaded new drivers. Cleared the entire hard drive, reinstalled windows, and when installing it went fine until it reboot to start the second half of the install. The damn thing won't stay on long enough to finish installing windows.

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
    I have a computer that when windows xp boots it will load up the desktop screen, but eventually the screen will turn off and the computer is unresponsive. the only way you can turn the computer off is by holding the power button. In safe mode it will stay running forever, just when it boots normally it fucks up. I thought it could be the video drivers, downloaded new drivers. Cleared the entire hard drive, reinstalled windows, and when installing it went fine until it reboot to start the second half of the install. The damn thing won't stay on long enough to finish installing windows.
    If your system has an internal video card, use it.

Take out all devices from the expansion slots.

Load windows and work from there....

Comment

The issue was with the on board video card. I installed a pci video card to see if out was the on board card.

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
        The issue was with the on board video card. I installed a pci video card to see if out was the on board card.
        Cool... Glad you got it goin...

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
          Cool... Glad you got it goin...
          No, shit, it still does the same thing with even the pci video card. I should not of left that out of my second post ,lol.

Comment

Corrupted video drivers. Uninstall, then reinstall and it should work fine.

Comment

Are there any error codes in event viewer? If so, what are they? Use Blue Screen View to check and post back what, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                Corrupted video drivers. Uninstall, then reinstall and it should work fine.
                I think he already did a full re-install of windows....

Comment

Originally posted by 88Kaufmann View Post
                  I think he already did a full re-install of windows....
                  That's exactly why I suggested to check for stop error codes w/ BSV.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    That's exactly why I suggested to check for stop error codes w/ BSV.
                    That's a cool little app.... Thanks for the link BTW....
                    Last edited by Gargamel; 01-22-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

With a different hard drive the computer wouldn't even make it to install windows on the other HD. Changed the power supply and changed nothing. The computer was too old to fuck with anymore.

Thanks for that program link. I might need it for my own computer.

Comment

Working...
                        X