Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering Samples of CPU's (x5650)

Anyone know the "rules" on ES Chips?

I was given a Hexacore and unfortunately my damn board won't accept (too early of a revision) so i'm seeing if I should just buy a new board to use this or see if I can't fleabay/clist it. I mean because if I have to buy a new board, i'm gonna buy a bad ass board so its gonna run me like $400 just to use this proc.

I posted @ TRP to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      I have a bloodrage but its matx and I don't want to run that as my main board, I know it works in that board but it won't work in my EVGA x58 (rev 1.00). I did spend about an hour working with them and them sending me a BIOS that should have allowed it to work but alas after fudging with it for about two hours last night I still can't post on my main machine.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

And one more for good measure.

Comment

Some good info, I knew ASUS and Gigabyte boards support westmere's out of the box provided they are recent. My Bloodrage works with my other hexacore at work, but its matx and I don't want to use that in my main computer since i'd lose a pci-e slot.
          EVGA is still on the ropes as to whether or not they'll upgrade my board (its very common with westmere support, rev 1.00 doesn't work but rev 1.2 does (black/gray scheme).

If I upgrade to something with 4pci-e slots i'll have to swap out cases. Its gay I can't sell this

Thanks for the help Tx, I think I may just have to bite the bullet and either buy a new board or push evga for upgrade.

Comment

Yeah trying to sell or give away an ES chip without Intel's Permission would be a very bad thing. We have a server in our little datacenter that has some ES chips in it. Intel never has asked for the server back, and well it's just going to stay right where it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dave586 View Post
              Yeah trying to sell or give away an ES chip without Intel's Permission would be a very bad thing. We have a server in our little datacenter that has some ES chips in it. Intel never has asked for the server back, and well it's just going to stay right where it is
              More often than not, OEM builders are given engineering samples that wind up in their servers.
              I have seen kitted dell orders, even tray cpu orders, that are all engineering samples. I know "technically" Intel still owns them though, my guess is the CPU simply isn't stamped when sent to OEM builders.

Comment

Dell wanted my client to test a PowerEdge 2950 for our upcoming virtual solution we were going to implement. We liked it and decided to buy it, and we found out later it was a "special" unit with ES chips. We ended up sending that one back, and getting another one at a nice discount for the slip up. I don't doubt it all that ES chips end up in production. I would say that if Intel gives someone an ES chip under the conditions of an ES chip then those conditions must be met, now if it's sold as a regular chip then it can be treated like a regular chip. So if I was just given an ES chip, or pulled one from a server from a sidewalk sale..I would be leary of passing ownership of it to someone else without having the details of the original agreement..which a call to Intel would solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave586 View Post
                  Dell wanted my client to test a PowerEdge 2950 for our upcoming virtual solution we were going to implement. We liked it and decided to buy it, and we found out later it was a "special" unit with ES chips. We ended up sending that one back, and getting another one at a nice discount for the slip up. I don't doubt it all that ES chips end up in production. I would say that if Intel gives someone an ES chip under the conditions of an ES chip then those conditions must be met, now if it's sold as a regular chip then it can be treated like a regular chip. So if I was just given an ES chip, or pulled one from a server from a sidewalk sale..I would be leary of passing ownership of it to someone else without having the details of the original agreement..which a call to Intel would solve.
                  Its possible, but I'm sure no one is gonna drop 650 (what i'm asking) for this CPU without knowing the risks of an ES (no warranty).

Comment

It's fine for you to sell it provided it was not given to you by intel as an official reviewer.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                      It's fine for you to sell it provided it was not given to you by intel as an official reviewer.
                      Link?
                      It was not an official reviewer, it was a server pull.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                        Link?
                        It was not an official reviewer, it was a server pull.
                        I damn sure can't find it now, but I know it used to be ok. I was going to buy one back when the C2D's came out and I had the same concerns.

Comment

Here's a simple mod to make that proc work in your board.

Kingpin cooling is a worldwide leader in the design and manufacturing of extreme pc cooling hardware.

Comment

Yeah I know how to mod the board TX, I just don't want to as it will void my warranty confirmed by EVGA. I'm waiting to move to Dallas, as they agreed to ship me out the latest revision which works with this proc out the box.

So free upgraded mobo and free 6core proc.

Comment

New motherboard came in.
                              And well, she's alive

Comment

Working...
                              X