No announcement yet.

EPA approves E15 for 2001-2006 cars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPA approves E15 for 2001-2006 cars...

Joy.

Wonder how gas stations will separate the blends? I know I'll look for the E10 label (wish there was a ethanol free gas where I lived).
    Washington — The Environmental Protection Agency will announce today that it is approving a higher blend of ethanol known as E15 for use in tens of millions of older vehicles.

The EPA has decided to approve the use of the fuel for 2001 to 2006 model years, a person briefed on the matter said late Thursday.

Advertisement

The decision is a victory for the ethanol industry and corn farmers, who have been pushing to increase the percentage of ethanol. The decision may help convince retailers to carry the fuel when the EPA finalizes new labels.

In October, the EPA approved the use of E15, a blend of 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent gasoline, for use in vehicles built in the 2007 model year and newer. Most gasoline has 10 percent ethanol, known as E10.

The EPA rejected the use of the higher blend for vehicles older than the 2001 model year, but had delayed a decision on approving use for 2001-06 model year vehicles.

Automakers have expressed concerns about using a higher percentage of the corrosive ethanol blend, and last week a trade association representing foreign automakers asked Congress to review the matter.

"There is very strong evidence that higher level ethanol blends can cause significant environmental, emissions, engine durability, operational and potentially safety problems in many gasoline engines," wrote Mike Stanton, president and CEO of the Association of International Automobile Manufacturers.

Before E15 can be sold, EPA must finalize a labeling rule to warn consumers that the higher blend is only for certain vehicles.

All major automakers filed suit last month in the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington to block a federal plan to allow fuel stations to start selling E15. Boat manufacturers and lawn equipment makers joined in the suit. The EPA has not approved the use of E15 for small engines, such as those in boats, snowmobiles and lawnmowers.

EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson defended the decision in October.

"Thorough testing has now shown that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks," Jackson said.
    Get the latest local Detroit and Michigan breaking news and analysis , sports and scores, photos, video and more from The Detroit News.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Cool, so all the engines that detonate just a little bit with 10% ethanol will go ahead and melt the pistons all the way now with 15%. Business will be booming for me!

Comment

How will this work.... gas stations will need to carry ATLEAST 6 grades of fuel?

E10: REGULAR, PLUS, SUPER
      E15: REGULAR, PLUS, SUPER
      E85
      DIESEL

I have already had to rebuild my carb once since the ethanol came out and found a bunch of black goo in the float bowls and some orings that had deteriorated.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

"Thorough testing has now shown that E15 does not harm emissions control equipment in newer cars and light trucks," Jackson said.
        I'm sure this dumb fucking whore really knows about what E15 may do to an older car.

I'm fucking sick of government fucktards who have no clue at all, about anything, sticking their nose into my life.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

It fucks up shit in boat motors, I know that for sure. I get to replace my fuel lines yet again this year, clean carbs again, blah blah blah.

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            I'm sure this dumb fucking whore really knows about what E15 may do to an older car.

I'm fucking sick of government fucktards who have no clue at all, about anything, sticking their nose into my life.
            They know it'll force more old cars off the road. Forced economic growth.

Comment

We went through the same thing in 1973 when lead was phased out. Performance, reliability and the effects on the economy don't mean squat once the EPA decides to do something.

Sure am glad I didn't get cancer from the MTBE crap they forced on us last time around, not yet at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                They know it'll force more old cars off the road. Forced economic growth.
                That's really the only "logic" I see, is a forced conversion to Hybrids/newer cars because they are purposefully destroying the "old" cars.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                  That's really the only "logic" I see, is a forced conversion to Hybrids/newer cars because they are purposefully destroying the "old" cars.
                  They want all the 15-25 year old japanese cars off of the road. It will be forced updating when they do away with the 10 in a couple years, and up the 15 to 20.

Comment

Watch the food prices go up with the % of ethanol in the tank. Barry doesn't need to pass laws...he just lets his "agencies" do all his dirty work. No house or senate to deal with, either. Just a simple "mandate" is all it takes.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                      Watch the food prices go up with the % of ethanol in the tank. Barry doesn't need to pass laws...he just lets his "agencies" do all his dirty work. No house or senate to deal with, either. Just a simple "mandate" is all it takes.
                      One of the greatest failures in modern day politics. Too many ways to bypass decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                        Food costs are already skyrocketing.... more farmers will jump to growing corn now, leaving the US at the mercy of the world market for the other crops like wheat.

Its a huge fuck up, and it's gonna come back to bite us hard.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                          How will this work.... gas stations will need to carry ATLEAST 6 grades of fuel?

E85
                          DIESEL

I have already had to rebuild my carb once since the ethanol came out and found a bunch of black goo in the float bowls and some orings that had deteriorated.
                          Dont forget uls diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post

E85
                            DIESEL

And I'd only pick E10....

The more alcohol in the gas, the worst the gas mileage......

Comment

I think it was back in November, Rep Michael Burgess was on Ed Wallace's show and stated that he had asked the EPA to give him a copy of the testing that was done for E15. They said that they had gotten the Dept of Energy to do the work.

The DoE said that the EPA had done the testing..

In other words, there has been no testing..

edit:

He also introduced legislation to keep ethanol at it's current levels.
                              Last edited by Sgt Beavis; 01-21-2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X